Saturday, February 7, 2009

I have ALWAYS loved Valentines Day. I think this is because I looked forward to trading valentines at school and whenever I got home from school my mom would have some candy and a little present waiting for us. I think another reason why it's one of the best days of the year is because I never felt that it was really a romantic day-just a day about love, no matter who you love. But in this post I would like to share the story of my all-time favorite Valentines Day:

6 years ago I was a freshman in high school (ok you have the right to laugh and make fun of me now since I'm currently working on having baby #2). I had no idea what was coming my way that year. Things were really tough in my life at that point from every direction. Well here's some backup info: I've always been in love with cute furry little animals. Is it covered in fur? Does it make cute noises? Weigh less than 10 lbs? Yes? I probably have a picture of it in one of those numerous collages I've made somewhere... not kidding. But my ultimate dream was of having a cute dog. Neither of my parents had ever had a dog and I think my dad has used WAY too much patience on the rest of the family since we've probably had every kind of animal in the house besides a dog.

Well one day a little before Valentines Day I came home from a Young Women's activity. I was a little upset because my mom, dad, and Becca all seemed to be keeping some sort of secret from me. I was starting to get really miffed. Anyway, out of the blue my mom told me to go to her desk. She apparently had a picture of a puppy for my "puppy collage" (pathetic I know..... but a girl's gotta dream!). I picked up the picture and honestly said, "oh my gosh. This is the CUTEST puppy I've ever seen in my life." To which my mom said, "good, because she's your puppy. We're bringing her home in a couple of weeks." I will do my best to describe my reaction.... although a movie of this would have made it much better...... I instantly started screaming and running around the kitchen until I collapsed on the floor and started bawling. Leave it to me to never make a reaction without a pinch of drama. I was sooooo excited! The picture that my parents showed me is right above this post.

My parents had already named her Mia (because in Spanish it means "mine") and we eventually were able to pick her up from the breeder (she's half maltese half toy poodle) once she weighed 1 lb. That is one of my all-time fondest memories. She fit in my hands as we drove home and I skipped school the next day just so I could be with her. To this day she sleeps in bed with me whenever I go home (although now she likes to cuddle with Ben instead of me.... ouch).

So I'm not trying to say that in order for me to have a wonderful Valentines Day I need a big present like a puppy. For me, that was the best Valentines Day I've had because my parents really sacrificed to get me that puppy. I really felt loved that day for that reason. And to me, that's what Valentines Day is all about.

So Mia was my baby for so many years, but now I have a much cuter baby who is adored much more and is far more precious. I'm so grateful I get to spend this Valentines Day with my wonderful hubby and daughter-because that's what love is all about.

More bedhead

5 comments:

April Bishop said...

Nice hair! I love this post, by the way. Nicely done!

David & Brenda said...

Love really is what it is all about. And...it is so easy to love you! We are grateful you're our daughter-in-law.

With love! Mum

Julie said...

I am crazy about Lily's hair! Cute post.

Mary Ann said...

I want a copy of Lily's photo! Yum!

Mike Hopkins said...

She is seriously the perfect blend of you two, in my opinion