Saturday, April 10, 2010

M.R.S. Degree


Aren't little girls supposed to try wearing their mom's high heels instead of their dad's dress shoes??? Maybe all of my 5 inch heels are too big for her, although I have seen my nieces do it... hmm...



Skyler's first french fry (or "deathsticks" as my parents call them) :)

Lily has the appetite of a teenage boy.

Sucking on his socks... YUM!

McDonalds Playplace. Lily chowed down her food so quickly so she could go and play just so she could sit at the bottom and play with these things. She didn't even want to climb around. Crazy girl.

So I just had an eye opener experience when I realized that today would have been the day I would have graduated from BYU-Idaho with my degree in Elementary Education. Obviously that didn't happen. Instead of getting a cap and gown I ended up getting two kids. This may sound weird but every day I still wake up amazed that I'm 21 with two kids. I did NOT plan my life to look like this. One of my life's great lessons has been to not judge. I have to admit that I was one of those people who said, "those girls who get married after their freshman year are complete idiots and only go to school to get their M.R.S. degrees." And what do I do? Go to school for a year and get married, of course! I also was one of those people who just thought it was ridiculous when people would get married and have a baby right away. See the pattern???? My new goal in life is to stop judging people otherwise I'm going to end up having to learn a lot more lessons. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like had I not gotten married so young. And, honestly, I can't imagine it. But even as I write this I have Lily in bed with me as she's dancing to music from Glee and I'll take her any day over a cap and gown I would have worn for one day. Someday I'll get it but for now I'll just have dance-a-thons with my kids. One other thing I have learned from our experiences is that a Bachelor's degree can't get you a job immediately but getting my M.R.S. degree sure did get me a job right away and I just have to count my blessings that although it's tough it's my dream job. Thank goodness Heavenly Father knows what He's doing when I'm completely clueless.....

7 comments:

Lisa Christensen Bagley said...

I read this post, and I just smiled :) Three years ago I wanted exactly what you have now, and I got the complete opposite too! I'm pretty sure someone up there is getting a good laugh at how we TRY to plan our lives. I love your blog, and I love your little family :)

Manda 'n' Noah said...

oh my goodness i think lilers gets more and more gorgeous everyday! you are such a good mom and such an inspiration to me because no matter how hard it gets for you guys you still find something happy or up lifting to say. i love you guys

David & Brenda said...

You have such amazing insights. I'd never quite thought of that perspective before. We are grateful you got your M.R.S. degree and are part of our family! What a special family you are!!

Linda Westover said...

Hang onto that positive attitude...Life will be much sweeter if you have that perspective! We're glad to have such a cute young chick in the family. Love to you all!

Becca said...

Heather, I am addicted to your children! They are too cute! Thanks for NOT graduating so that we can have Lil and Sky. I LOVE THEM!!!

Juliann said...

I got my MRS after the first year too. It was the best thing that has ever happened in my life. Someone's got to raise these sweet babies.

Chrissy said...

Isn't it amazing how our lives turn out so differently than our plans? I never imagined that I would adopt a beautiful baby and I for sure never thought I would get prego three months after adopting! It's such a different plan, but such a much more beautiful plan!! And I have learned a lot lately about not judging too. I used to be a little harsh on parents who let their kids have tantrums in public...ahem...not anymore! Now my whole heart goes out to them as I say silent prayers for their behalf.

Your kids are stinkin' cute, by the way! I am so glad you got the bows and that they work. We can't wait to see you in two weeks!!