Friday, November 26, 2010

Gobble Gobble Goo and Gobble Gobble Gickel, I Wish Turkey Only Cost a Nickel

 Every now and then it's not so awesome to get a jumbo pack of something when all of your drawers aren't childproofed yet.

 Thanksgiving was a half success.  Food = success, which is super awesome since this was the first Thanksgiving where Ben and I cooked.  Company = not completely successful.  It was awesome to have my parents there but Skyler ended up getting croup on Tuesday and so Ben's sister Trina's family wasn't able to come up from Alabama.  Boo.  It was a serious bummer.

 The entertainment of the evening was fabulous and consisted of Skyler trying to figure out my mom's nylons.

My kids made me go on an "olive hunt" this morning when they stole them off of a plate on the island.  Wrong holiday guys!

So here's my not so serious thankful list.  I'm thankful for Sesame Street and how it has helped Lily learn how to count (as well as let me make dinner).  Oh and also for teaching her how to rap to the letter A, I know she'll use that at some point in her life.  I'm thankful for humidifiers so that Skyler no longer has to sleep in our bathroom with the shower on.  I'm thankful to have a seriously loud toilet seat lid that scares the bajeebers out of me in the middle of the night (Ben and I have some weird luck in that department and we always end up with some kind of weird toilet wherever we move.... strange.).  I'm thankful for ear plugs and that I can actually sleep now.

Onto my serious thankful list.  First of all I should say how grateful I am for Ben.  I really don't give him enough credit on our blog since it's just a very rough synopsis of a small fraction of our lives.  For those of you who unfortunately haven't been able to meet him, he's seriously amazing.  No we don't always see eye to eye, but he's so awesome.  I don't think I could have married anyone else who would have as much patience with me.  He's one of the hardest workers I know, and for that reason we were able to buy a house.  Which leads me to my next subject.  I am thankful for our house.  It's AWESOME.  I'm thankful for Lily and Skyler.  Even though they require lots of patience I've decided that there are probably 5-10 amazing moments to every one terrible moment.  For an example, keep reading below.  I'm thankful for the gospel and the impact it's had on my life.  I'm thankful for the spirit and that it guides me on a daily basis whether it's "pack one more diaper" or "you need to buy this house."  And most of all, beyond any of these things, I'm thankful for Jesus Christ and that all things are possible through Him.

I hope all y'all had a fabulous Thanksgiving!  Now onto Christmas!  (And Ben and I have decided to keep up my family's tradition of decorating for Christmas on Black Friday, so pictures of the house will soon be inevitable.  I promise to post pics this week.

Cute Skyler

Now for the quote of the week:  Ben and I were downstairs playing cribbage after the kids' bedtime when Lily started yelling, "Mommy Mommy Daddy Daddy!"  We knew that was a big deal because Lily is the world's best sleeper so when she yells in the night we run because something is seriously wrong.  So we sprinted up to her room to find her still awake and just lying under her covers, happy to see us.  When we asked her what was wrong she immediately started jabbering away telling us all about different colored bunnies, how Pop Pop drove to church in his car, blah de blah de blah, you name it she talked about it.  When we realized she just needed to talk we started leaving so she could go back to sleep.  As soon as her door closed she screamed again so we went back in.  She happilly started jabbering away again and then I realized what she was doing: monologuing.  Holy cow, this is seriously in her genes (for those of you who are unaware I would "monologue" to my parents every single night between scripture study and prayers, while my mom would listen to me for at least an hour while my dad passed out on the couch).  When all of this became clear in my mind I burst into laughter and then Lily said, "Yeah, Mommy.  I'm so funny."  Which made me laugh harder so I collapsed on the floor and started my "laugh/cry" to which Lily said, "Daddy, Mommy's laughing on the floor."  Love that child.  She totally came to the right parents.

4 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

Cute table. Is it ikea? Love your toilet. Love your kids :) Love that ADD randomness runs in our family when it comes to bedtime. :)

David & Brenda said...

She definitely came to the right family! Part of our Thanksgiving list: Benjamin, Heather, Lily, Skyler.

Cheryl said...

Happy Thanksgiving!... the first of many in your new home! Heavenly Father sure know what to do, even when it comes to placing us in our families! Cute kids. Cute parents.
I'm going to try to get Jim to help me set up the Christmas tree this week. Lots of people around us have already decorated.

Cheryl said...

I need to start editing my comments! I really do have good grammar.