Their "drums"
Note to Self: let kids help make banana muffins BEFORE bathtime, not after.
Lily decided that it was cool to put on her swimsuit over her tights. I sense a ballerina in the works...
Then when I was busy cleaning up the kitchen she took all of her books out of this bin so she could chill in it. Where did the books end up??? Hmmm......
OH YEAH. ALL OVER THE PLACE. This is their toy room which should really be called their junk room since it almost never looks awesome. Sadly they don't really like to play in it until I clean it up. And then they do this ALL OVER AGAIN. No wonder they like their empty kitchen cabinet.
So what has happened this week?
We were told that Lily no longer needs Developmental Therapy! WOOHOO! Go Lily! The little lady can now count to 13 and can say quite a few letters in her ABC's and recognize them on my keyboard. She amazes me now! Her vocabulary is constantly growing and she speaks so much better than she did just a couple of months ago! I also just showed her some of her baby pictures and she kept saying, "aaawww!" HILARIOUS.
Skyler fell down the stairs today. Not all of them, thank goodness, but it was enough to shake both of us up. He loves copying whatever Lily does and his vocabulary is getting bigger, too.
Ben and I got to play Mary and Joseph at our stake's live nativity. It was outside. It was 30 degrees. And we did it for an hour. Luckilly I dressed in layers and baby Jesus had a sweet felt blanket that I could hide my hands in. LIFESAVER!
I have to admit that I feel a little guilty because most of my good stories are about Lily because she's at the age where her personality is developing so quickly. Here's this week's story: Skyler had done something small that I said, "No!" to. I let him go off to play and Lily just looked shocked. She then shook her head at me like I'd done something wrong, grabbed Skyler's hand, and yelled, "time out!" while then taking him to the bathroom and closing the door. Sigh. Lily if only you knew that you should enjoy the time when you don't have to be the bad guy. Now Skyler takes himself to timeout when unnecessary. I really shouldn't laugh but it's actually pretty funny.
Well, this Christmas Santa is bringing Lily all sorts of exciting potty training things like Sesame Street panties (ooooooh aaaaaaahh). I'm already trying to get her super excited about using a potty, and then I thought, I should ask YOU for advice! So what advice can YOU give that might make this process go a little more smoothly?





9 comments:
Not that I am totally experienced on this, but my Anatomy teacher at BYU-Idaho had a REALLY good idea that I plan on using one day! What do kids love more than anything else? Soda. Everytime they go to the bathroom, he would give his kids a glass of soda as a reward...you can probably see where this is going :) They went to the bathroom about 25 times that day, but they did it so much that they knew how to use the bathroom! He said that it never took more than a week to potty train all of his children.
It's worth a try (unless you are totally against soda... :) )! Good Luck!
I think before you start to potty train her you need to teach her that cute little song that you used to sing when you were done with your business:
"Somebody come and wipe me"
(the lyrics aren't quite the same without the cute little tune to go along with it).
Eden has been using the potty since September. Granted, I've only potty trained one kid, but I guess I can offer a little advice.
Wait until you are sure she's ready. It will be frustrating for both of you if she's not. Eden had been showing a lot of signs she was ready and occasionally asked to go potty and wear panties, but I really knew she was ready when we pulled out the Bumbo chair to babysit a friend and she started using it as her personal "potty". She'd sit down, pee, and want her diaper to be changed immediately.
The next day we went on a special Potty Trip to Target and got a little potty, panties, Sprite, and I let her pick out a treat--M&Ms. I put the M&Ms in a mason jar and had them on the counter and she got one for each successful go--2 if she went #2. I let her drink as much Sprite as she wanted, which was a lot that first day! When the M&Ms ran out, I didn't give any more treats and warned her that it would happen.
We've had a handful of accidents and some frustrating moments, but on the whole, it went well. She does really well with praise, so we did a potty dance after she went every time and I made a huge deal out of it.
GOOD LUCK! It is an adventure!
I agree with Papa and Julie. You never want to push it. Does she ever go in the bathtub? That's how I got Rose potty trained. Every time shed feel or see the warm water in the tub, she'd let loose. So before I turned the water on for bath time, I'd stick her on the potty and she would go! So easy. Too bad it won't work with Kate :(
I believe that there is no good advice for potty training... It is one of the Tools of Satan to make us feel like horrible mothers... Just Kidding... But really, I hate potty training. My theory is to just stick them in panties when you are ready and let them pee on themselves a few times. How do they know what it feels like if they only ever go in a diaper? So I really prefer summer potty training. Please pee on my lawn and not my new carpet... But be patient and I do believe in the power of bribery... Good luck!
well, every kid is different- you already knew that. It also applies to potty training. Some kids- if you take off their pants they are too afraid to pee on the floor and therefore potty trained. Some kids could care less (mine). I wouldn't get a sepearate potty, just a potty seat. I knew one kid who had to take his potty everywhere he went cause he was scared of the big potty. Focus on being dry not going in the potty, reward for staying dry. Call a parent, call elmo and gloat about it to them in front of her. There is a good book called "potty training in less than a day" i don't recommend doing it that way, but it has good ideas in it.
oh, and I had some special disney cars books that we only read while on the potty. that was awesome! you have to tailor to her interests
It's good to be back home and able to catch up with your blog. I love what you are doing with your home and can hardly wait until we can see it again as a home and not just as a house. I'm so happy for the progress Lily has made; she's an amazing little girl.
Wow, I am so glad to find that you guys are doing so great! Your house looks amazing! Congratulations. That must be so nice! ( i can't wait to get there someday!) Your kids are beautiful! I can not believe how big they are. Oh and I also noticed that Eden and Lily have the same swimsuit! I guess great minds think alike!!! I really am glad that things are going better for you, I know it was a long and stressful road to get there!
Post a Comment