Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Welcome To My Kitchen....


Welcome to my kitchen!  This is the room that totally sold me on our house!  But let me start off this post with a flashback to when I was 10ish.  I had just discovered Food Network.  I was OBSESSED.  And ever since I have dreamed for years about my dream kitchen.  And I got it.  (This is the part where I do an embarrassing victory dance.)

Oh and have I ever mentioned in detail the kitchen that Ben and I first started out in?  We lived in what I lovingly call "the ghetto shack."  Don't get me wrong, I loved that place.  So many awesome memories.  So many ghetto features.  In one word: AWESOME.  The not so awesome part was our kitchen.  How much spare counter space did we have.... hmm... let me do some mental math..... maybe a good 2x feet.  And that was usually covered in old mail.  So I often had a cutting board in my lap on the sofa (that wasn't so awesome when I was preggers).  After living there I swore to myself I would have a kitchen with counter space to spare someday, and VOILA!  My dreams came true.

So here's the basic tour:

 The kids' craft table.  Thank you Ikea (also for the kitchen table/chairs and those awesome window panels covering our sliding glass door).

 The cabinets to the very left are the empty ones the kids play in.  The door on the far right (facing us) is the powder room.  To its left is the laundry room.  And to its left is another closet.

 The door to the right is my ginormous pantry (look below).  As you can see I dumped all of our junk next to the toaster oven.  Someday I will figure out where all of these things belong.  On the left you can see more junk in a heap on top of a built in desk.  To the left of that is the garage door.


Once again forgive me for the poor quality of pictures.  Once again they were taken at night.  Catching the pattern here?  I take pictures while the kids are in bed, or in other words, while it looks somewhat decent.

Now if I can make one complaint here it is.  Sure stainless steel appliances look awesome.  Sure they're "the thing" right now.  But do those people who decide what's fashionable have kids?  I'm guessing no, because my appliances are always covered in finger prints that wouldn't normally be as noticeable on white or black.  But really I shouldn't complain.  We managed to get them all for free.

So there you have it.  My favorite room.  So let this be my cheesy blog post about hopes and dreams.  Did I ever think I'd have it so good?  Nope.  I still want to hop on top of my island and give it a big hug every morning.  So if you have something you're hoping for right now, allow me to sing/write this song to you (please imagine Cinderella's voice, not mine, singing to you)

Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling thru
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
the dream that you wish will come true

And there ends my super-weird blog post.  Until next time dear followers.

11 comments:

April Bishop said...

Islands are the best. Whether they be in Hawaii or your kitchen... :)

Michal Thompson said...

guess i need to go to ikea

Anonymous said...

LOL, Heather you are so funny. Yes we didn't think about the stainless steel issues with kids, but we both wanted them!!! Love you wife.

Shelene said...

It looks great Heather! It is so fun to get settled into a new place and make it your own. Glad you guys are enjoying it! My sister told me there is a special cleaner for SS appliances. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it because it is so expensive, but we just use a wet cloth then dry it with a towel. Happy decorating!!!

Liz Wilcken said...

Does that mean if I keep dreaming and believing, that someday I won't be pregnant anymore? Wow...hard to believe.... You sang that marvelously, BTW. :)

Mary Ann said...

I'm still jealous that you have more counter space than I do--how does that work? Cute kitchen,Cutie!

Becca Meservy said...

Drooling...
and my security word I had to type in was "dingk" which kinda sounded like the sound I made when I saw the first picture of all your counter space.

Cheryl said...

It's a beautiful room! Kitchens truly are the heart of a home, so it's nice to have a dream room in which to be able to spend time. :)
Get a microfibre cloth; they work like a dream!

thepodfather said...

In this politically correct world that we live in (but I don't necessarily agree with all of the time) I think that the next post should be from Ben, showing off his awesome garage - well maybe that one can wait a while until more boxes get unpacked and the shelves get up, etc.

Manda 'n' Noah said...

tiny finger prints just add character :-) i am SO happy for you guy! you really deserve the counter space ;-)

Karen said...

I'd drool over that brand new kitchen too! And I'm still trying to figure out after 24 years in our house, where some thing should go!