Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why BYU-Idaho Is The Best School On Earth

Oh. Y'all.
I am really worked up about something today. So much so that my Southern accent is flaring up inside my head. I know something is either really bad or really good when things start getting Southern in there. This time around, it's the former.
So watch out. I'm about to step onto my soap box.

I found out something new about BYU-Idaho this week: they are banning skinny jeans. Okay y'all, breathe in, breathe out. Do you need me to call you a fashion paramedic? Are you going to survive? How on Earth are your legs going to breathe without all that tight denim?!?!?!

On Facebook I saw a few too many accusers of this new idea. And do you want to know the funny part? None of them went to BYU-Idaho. Hmmm.... wonder why it bothers them so much? Maybe they should actually ask the kids who go there how they feel. My guess is that a whole bunch of girls are going to do what they do with their shorts and flip-flops. They won't wear them. Or at least they won't wear them on campus.  No biggie.

Okay, for real, y'all, you don't mess with my BYU-Idaho. That's when my (oh-so-literal) Z-Snap comes out. When they enforce a rule, you obey it. PERIOD.  Let me tell you my side of the story of when I went to BYU-Idaho: I followed the dress code and I survived.  If anything, it helped me from getting frostbitten toes and legs.  Also, it made me get out of my jammies when I probably would have worn them to class had I gone anywhere else (if you need proof feel free to contact any of my high school teachers.  I wore them on a biweekly basis).  These University people know what they're talking about.

But in all seriousness, why would they create a rule like this?  Obviously there is a reason behind it.  Perhaps it has to do with the fact that they care about modesty.  Perhaps it is the fact that they care about their students looking professional instead of like partied-up punks.  So if that's not the idea you had in mind for college, don't go there or transfer*.  You're not losing your agency. 

So in my not-so-humble opinion, BYU-Idaho is the best school on Earth.  This is not an invitation for you to smack down my school in the comments section.  It will be deleted ASAP.  Dead serious. 

So here's my shout out to BYU-Idaho, the one school on Earth that actually improves its standards in time instead of giving way to those who complain about how much comfier sweats are, or how flip flops are so much comfier than closed toed shoes.  I wish I could fly out to Rexburg right now in my oversized coat and give the Kimball Building one huge hug.  You guys in there rock.

*And as a side note, who would want to leave Rexburg when you've got Big Jud's, huckleberries, Stockmans, a 1.5 hour drive to Yellowstone, a healthy dose of snow, a safe Wal-Mart to pass out in, and a friend working at every restaurant in town with a discount?

6 comments:

Becca said...

You go girl! I feel the same way. :)

The Green-Eyed Girl said...

DITTO!

Chrissy said...

I love BYU-I too. But when I went it was Ricks. Sigh. I am old. But that was a great school for me. And I agree with you.

David & Brenda said...

You get high marks on this one, Heather! Right on!!

Mary Ann said...

Proud of you, kiddo!

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

just so you know they really didn't ban skinny jeans, someone was saying theyshould and it was taken and twisted into that they did. You can go to BYU-Idaho's facebook page and get the full story