Saturday, July 7, 2012

36 Week Baby Bump... er... Mountain and Birthday Season


The uberly cheesy take-a-picture-of-yourself-in-the-bathroom-mirror-because-your-hubby-is-at-work-and-you-don't-trust-a-toddler-with-your-camera picture.

I am officially full term people.  36 weeks.  And although the calendar and my frequent OB visits keep reminding me of this fact, it’s not hard to remember when the top of my thighs hit my belly every step of the way upstairs.  Or when I have to hurl my legs over the side of our bed to pull myself up into sitting position.  Or when my tummy decides to take up art classes by squeezing up against my kitchen counters and collecting every bit of food I drop.  Or when people stop me almost every time I’m out in public to ask if I’m overdue or having twins, and when I say no they always shake their heads sympathetically and say “God bless you.”  (Oh Southern hospitality, I love you.  Especially because of that random middle aged couple in Kroger who bought my kids M&M’s just because they took one look at ginormous me with 2 kiddos in tow and said, “We’ve been there.”)  Yeah, I’d say we’re getting near the end, which is good since I had an ultrasound yesterday telling me that our baby is just about 7 pounds already.  Not too shabby since my weight gain is at 23 pounds right now. 

Last weekend I was given a surprise baby shower.  I don’t have pictures but I took a bunch of the decorations home so that I can put them in the nursery once it’s painted, so I’ll eventually post pics of that instead.  My sweet friends who put it on told me that it was a craft party (sound familiar????) and when I showed up there was a whole spread of yummy food – which was not lacking in the chocolate department, I’ll tell you that much.  It was DE-LISH.  The other ladies all made gifts for the baby and she will be so cutely dressed and all accessoried up once she gets here.



This past week we also had the chance to celebrate Ben’s 29th birthday.   The day consisted of me making his favorite breakfast (think monkey bread but with nuts and butterscotch pudding in it) and putting his candles in it only 10 minutes after it had been pulled out of the oven.  It was sort of a Sleeping Beauty moment because the candles kept falling over.  Finally I pulled them out to realize that everything but the wicks had melted and sure enough, we found colorful wax in our breakfasts.  Yaaaaay!  Ben had to hold his own candles as we sang to him.  Let’s just say that lunch was a much safer bet when we picked him up from work and went to a yummy Greek restaurant. 

Next it's my birthday.  Then it's the baby's.  Then it's Skyler's.  And then birthday season will be over with at the end of the month.  Whew.

7 comments:

Michal Thompson said...

so i wrote you this long amazing comment and it didn't post. So... Happy Birthday! I am officially the first one to wish it to you. And yes, you might be thinking it doesn't count cause it is a day early, but at least I didn't forget! As weird as it sounds, i am going to miss my belly touching my tummy as I walk up the stairs!

Anonymous said...

You seriously look SO good! You can't even tell you are pregnant in the first picture--lucky! :)

Mary Ann said...

You totally need to wear black all the time, Sweetie--looking good!!

Mary Ann said...

You totally need to wear black all the time, Sweetie--looking good!!

David & Brenda said...

It's 6 a.m. at our house. Now that I've received my 'fix' from your blog, I can start my day. Love you all! Mum

Cheryl said...

The monkey bread looks delicious...candles and all!
You do look amazing! I only wish I looked half as good as you...and I'm not pregnant! ;p)

Liz Wilcken said...

I made monkey bread for my 1st birthday of our marriage, and i made the same candle mistake. It was a rainbow-y waxy treat. We all tried to avoid the wax, and yet go for the parts with all the gooey sticky sauce! Happy birthday Macbeths!