Saturday, May 11, 2013

Backyard Camping

A couple of months ago, Ben told me he wanted to take Skyler on the ward Father/Son campout (next weekend).  Our kids can sometimes surprise us with what they enjoy and what they hate so we thought it would be best to do a campout in the backyard first as a trial run.  That way Lily could tag along, too.  But every weekend we either had something up or the weather was horrible.  2 months later (last night) we finally got to do it - 85 and sunny, anyone?  And to say these kiddos were jittery with excitement is an understatement.  

We started with an awesome dinner of hot dogs, coleslaw, and chips.  Skyler only made it through a few bites when he said, "I'm not feeling so well... I need to go lie down."
Translation: "I don't want to eat this.  I'm going to go do something else."
(Bud, you really shouldn't try pulling that one every single day.  I'm pretty sure we've figured out you're not sick by now.)
So he went and plopped himself in the tent where he was just so excited about the whole sleeping outside thing that he just wanted to get the ball rolling.  Lily made it through a couple more bites before she got too excited and joined Skyler in the tent, too.


But Ella knew the only place she'd be camping out that night was in her crib so she enjoyed her dinner.
As usual.


Them not eating their dinner.


Sisterly love.  I can't wait for all the awkward faced pictures in their future.
Mmmmm.  I love my girls.


We read scriptures and had prayers before tucking Ella in for the night.  Then we came out to enjoy S'Mores!  Yum!


Skyler loved them and stuffed his face full of them.  Lily ate one and was underwhelmed. "I just want the chocolate."  Oh dear.  I think I'm rubbing off on her.


I spent a whopping 10 minutes in there to say goodnight to them.  What?  You thought I'd sleep on the ground with a 21 week tummy?  Uh... negative.  

They enjoyed an evening of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Ben's laptop and then fun with flashlights when it was dark.  From Ben's report this morning, it turns out that Skyler snores and Lily sucks her thumb really loudly.  And then on top of that Ben would have to gently put the kids back in their sleeping bags when they started drifting all over the tent in their sleep.  *And if you conclude anything from this paragraph, it is probably that we have never once slept with our kids before unless we were traveling.  Not a single night.  As soon as they're born, they're in a crib in their own room.  And Ben and I sort of love having our room to ourselves, so I don't even feel bad that I'm the one parent I know who doesn't wake up with kids in my bed in the morning.*

The kids had a blast.  We had a blast (you know, my whole part of sleeping inside with Ella was so tough) and we know that this is something the kids will be begging for in the future.  So here's to hoping that the boys' campout in a week is awesome!

5 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Sad that our grandchildren won't ever be able to sleep in a tent in our backyard...with 100+ summertime temperatures, lizards, and scorpions. That was a very happy part of growing up in our Macbeth household. Oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Well, not part of the camping experience, but definitely part of the Benjamin experience. Some things you just don't outgrow!

Sarah Baird said...

So fun!!! Lorin and I have talked about going camping in our back yard, but we haven't got around to it yet. I think this post has inspired me to get the ball rolling on that one.

Erin Isgett said...

Heather, we don't have kids sleeping in our bed either. The tiniest things wake me up, so I would never get any sleep if they joined us! I honestly don't think it has ever occurred to them to come get in bed with us...but if they tried, I would just lovingly walk them back to their room ;) Love the pics from your backyard camping trip!

Eve M said...

I never let the kids sleep in our room either. I tried it when they were babies and could never sleep. They were in the hallway in a bassenet at least. Courtney does complain every day that Cathryn sucks her thumb too loudly and prays every night that Cathryn won't suck her thumb!

Becca Meservy said...

Ella looks like a Cabbage Patch kid in that picture! So cute! And don't worry, you are not alone in the "no kids in my bed" idea - I don't sleep when I'm touched, so yeah, no kids next to Mommy!