Friday, June 7, 2013

House Buying/Selling in Memes

Apparently selling a house and buying another one are two of life's major stresses.  So instead of telling you about how I'm handling this by eating the cookie dough I've frozen for showings, I'll just describe this experience by using memes. 
 
Story of my life.
 

I don't think I've ever seen my house this clean.  It's awesome to see it so sparkly.  Not having the worry of accidentally stepping on a lego is wonderful.  But if I'm being honest, I can't wait for the day when I can wake up and say, "Meh.  No cleaning today.  Let's just play."
 

I still don't know how to fold a fitted sheet.  And I swear I've folded as many fitted sheets in the last month of my life as I have in the last 24 years.  I'm wondering if this is some kind of concentrated dose of karma from all the years my mom did my laundry for me.
 

The mixed emotions of leaving one awesome house and going to another.
 

That moment when your house is finally (eek!) market ready and your kids decide to pull the door stop out of their room, bang the door, and leave a big dent in their wall.  But at least there isn't any proof of vaseline anywhere!  Our realtor even commented about how awesomely clean all of our carpets looked.  Cue the part where Ben and I snickered in the background thinking of every crazy thing we've had to clean out of our carpets.
 

When my kids tell me multiple times a day that I'm "the meanest mom EV-ER" because we had to take down the horsey swing, hide the sidewalk chalk, and pack up 70% of their toys.  Little do they know that we are actually moving for them.
 

Guilty.
 

Cross out "piece of clothing" and replace it with "house" and you've got a serious case of Heather-and-Ben-don't-like-debt-of-any-kind-and-will-slowly-walk-away-now.
 
 
Now if I could give my two cents, I would say this: don't do this when you're pregnant.  But a good portion of the time that's inevitable.  But I'm warning you, you may be sitting down doing a simple math problem to figure out what you can afford, get the answer completely wrong, and burst into tears because you're pregnant and that is the natural reaction to doing math incorrectly.  Not that I know this from experience...  When Ben pulled the tissue away from my face and I asked if my mascara was running, he was like, "Ummm...." and showed it to me.  Black.  Then I cleaned myself up in the bathroom and and when Ben saw me he asked, "Aw, were you crying again?"  Uh, no.  Thanks.  Ha!
 
Despite the stress, we really are excited about this process.  But I would be lying if I said that this was some picnic.  So for now, I'll just stick to the memes and the cookie dough.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always to joke when we were in the middle of doing what you are doing that once we'd sold our house, we'd either be buying one bigger house, or two small condos.... One for me and one for Tom. It's a rough process. Good luck! It's fun once it's all fallen back into place.

Unknown said...

USED to joke.... I should really check my comments before I post them...

Liz Wilcken said...

You need a theme song to keep you going, my poor little sister. How about "I will Survive?" Love you all!

Michal Thompson said...

i totally do that- write things down just to cross them off!