Thursday, August 8, 2013
An Unexpected Note
When I was released from the Primary presidency in the Garner Ward, I was given a thank you card signed by all the Primary teachers. Even though this kind of has nothing to do with this post, I had to add that they also gave me an orchid. It was GORGEOUS. And all I had to do was feed it 3 ice cubes a week and it would stay in perfect condition. It was ideal for when we were staging our home and everyone who ever saw it thought it was fake because it was that perfect. And honestly, I say this while I laugh because even my dad was so convinced that it was fake that he left it in his car during the move because he wasn't worried about it dying. Ha! Needless to say, it's a goner. I love that story. I had to record it.
Anyway..... back to the real post. Apparently I had put the card on top of the fridge and it somehow slipped behind it, so when we moved, I lost the card. But in the mail this week, I noticed a card from our old address. What? Inside was the card I had received from Primary and a letter from our buyers.
Hello Mrs. Macbeth,
I hope you and your family are doing well and settling into your new home. We are enjoying your "old home" -- you took such great care of it! (that's because they don't know about any of the crayon, marker, acrylic paint, and vaseline that was once on practically every surface of our house) -- and the new neighborhood.
We found this thank you card when cleaning behind the fridge. You seem to have meant a lot to the people who signed it; I couldn't just throw it in the trash. By the way, you've had a lasting impression on the neighbors I've met too -- they all speak so highly of you! Please relay to your husband that our children LOVE the castle.
When I read this I think I just blinked a couple of times and was left dumbfounded. Things got a little hairy the closer we got to our closing date. Between them asking if they could move in before the actual closing to repairing things that didn't need to actually be repaired, we were starting to get a little frustrated. But I kept telling myself that when Ben and I had two comparable offers on the table, it was beyond clear to us who was supposed to have our house after we said one short prayer.
I think this letter really sealed the deal for me. I strangely haven't missed our old house at all, even when Lily and Skyler have said things like, "I miss the castle." But I especially know now that our old house is being loved by someone who is supposed to be there.
In the meantime, we feel completely at home in our new house. It is beyond awesome. Lily is getting ready to go to school. I'm getting ready for Thad to arrive. Ben is enjoying a shorter commute. Skyler is loving lots of space to play in the backyard without adult supervision. And we are all loving the neighborhood pool where Lily and Skyler are suddenly not deathly afraid of swimming now that we have a 3-story water slide to enjoy.
Life and change are good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment