These past two weeks have been full of so much emotion for me. Ben had spent so much time planning the 50-miler that all I kept telling myself was Once it's over everything will calm down. But then Ben had his appendectomy, we got hand foot and mouth, then Ben and I started getting colds while the kids got tummy bugs and started throwing up. Ben and I are still sick but the kids seem to be getting better. My only prayer is that Lily and Skyler are in good health for when school starts next week.
Lily is the only one who got over everything quickly. That was another answer to one of my prayers. She has dreamed and dreamed her whole life of being able to go to dance. In the first couple of years we couldn't afford it. Then last summer we moved to our house and were so overwhelmed with unpacking, having Thad, and Lily starting kindergarten, that signing up for dance was one of the last things on my mind. Yesterday she went to her first class. Typically when she does something for the first time she holds back and is more timid. But this time she was so free and happy. It made me tear up to see her joy after she had waited so long for this opportunity. Man, I'm going to be a mess during her recital at the end of the year.
Ben's recovery was a very difficult and slow-moving one. I won't go into details, but he ended up getting a blessing from someone 5 out of the first 6 days. It was horrible to watch his pain. I was so consumed with getting him better and with taking care of the kids on my own, that when people started bringing us meals it really touched me. It's been so nice because I've only made dinner once since we were in the hospital. We have felt so much love and kindness, it's so hard to say thank you sufficiently.
Last Sunday I knew there was no way Ben would make it to church. So I crossed my fingers and took all the kids with me. I was smart enough to sit on the very back row in the gym because I knew how hard it would be to control all of them. Ella's little tupperware of crackers slid down her seat and fell behind us on the floor. I had Lily and Skyler help me pick them up. No biggie. When the sacrament ended, two friends of mine walked in through the back entrance in the gym, saw me alone with the kids, and sat next to me to help. I can't say how grateful I was! Because just then, Ella's tupperware started sliding down her seat again and in an effort to save it, I hit it wrong and catapulted it up into the air, spreading the crackers over several rows of seats. That was the point I had been waiting for all week -- the point where I had to burst into tears. These sweet women took Thad and helped Lily and Skyler pick up the crackers while I cried. I don't cry often, so it wasn't a surprise when Lily asked me, "Is this a good cry?" When I shook my head she said, "Oh. Mom, you've got black rain on your face." Ha!
But really, Ben and I have seen first hand how wonderful our friends and neighbors are. We are so grateful for the meals, the offers to watch the kids, the kind words, the priesthood blessings, and overall concern.

3 comments:
It has been my experience that "bad" things seem to happen in threes. You've had three in a row; now is the time for things to move forward again. And they are, as evidenced by Lily's happy entrance into the world of dance. Life is amazing.
You are lucky that you don't cry often! I feel like I cry at everything! After the rough couple weeks we just had, I read your post and cried. Ha! Just know, if I would have sat by you in church, I would have cried right along with you! :)
Hope you have an easier week!
So sorry to hear you are still struggling. I thought you all were on your way up. "This too will pass." It will! It will! Hold on! It sounds as if Father in Heaven is helping you through others. That is a great blessing. We are grateful for all they are doing to help you and to lift you. Even though we are so far away, we pray for your family every single day.
Post a Comment