Ella and Lily both received flying fairies from Santa. Naturally they're both scared to death of them and so Skyler plays with them. Naturally.
Sometimes, after Christmas, you need a break from all the shiny new toys, and you need to get back to playing with the good old sticks, er, branches.
In case anyone was wondering, Ben doesn't act like he's 32 on/after Christmas. I like that about him. I'm not sure how many hours he's poured into playing with hot wheels and legos in the past week.
The night before New Year's Eve, Ben and I confessed to each other that we felt slightly guilty over the fact that our kids have no idea what New Year's Eve means. So we told them we would have fun that day. We went to Costco for lunch and, curse you Costco samples, we ended up bringing home a chocolate mousse cake. We've been Costco members for years and this was the first time we've given in to something we didn't need because it was too good to pass up.
My New Year's Resolution is to never eat a Costco sample again.
(I'll let you know when I have failed at my attempts next month)
Me: "Say cheese!"
Lily: *posing her wacky face*
Skyler: *smearing chocolate frosting all over his face*
And people wonder why we never have our family picture taken...
We knew we weren't going to let the kids stay up until midnight for several reasons. The kids' bedtime is 7, so they wouldn't make it even if they tried, we've all been sick with a few different things, and the biggest reason of all? Ben and I really just wanted a quiet night. There. I've said it.
But we told them what people do on New Year's and how it's crazy and everyone parties. So we found a countdown on Netflix and let the kids celebrate. I sure hope your celebration wasn't as out of control as these guys!!!
Judging from Skyler's, "That's it????" after the countdown, Ben and I decided that maybe we won't try again for a couple more years...
We put the kids in bed and Ben and I made our own special dinner to enjoy by ourselves (which is something we do a couple of times a month in lieu of date nights out). A few weeks ago, one of Ben's co-workers casually asked for our address. A couple days later a package arrived on our porch from her that was filled with a couple hundred dollars worth of Omaha Steaks as a thank you for all Ben's work this year. We were thrilled! So we grilled up some steaks and watched Netflix/read, and went to bed at 10:30. We fully realize how UN-exciting we are, and we are more than okay with it. :)
This past week has been so unseasonably warm and RAINY. The creek behind our house has been overflowing at times. Ben and I had a goal to get Skyler riding his bike sans training wheels during the break. Why we always tried to help our kids during the scorching heat on Summer days is beyond me. This morning (the first time we weren't being poured on this week) I told Skyler, "I think today is the day." He wasn't eager to try, but as soon as he got on his bike with Ben, it was like magic. I think it took maybe 30 seconds for him to ride by himself? It's gonna be a good year, y'all.
I was on make-sure-Ella-and-Thad-don't-roll-into-the-street-as-discreetly-as-a-toddler-can-roll-into-the-street-on-a-plasma-car-duty.
Between Ella and Thad's different, yet both hilarious personalities, I count my blessing that I get to call these two crazies my own.
What is he doing?
Why is he rolling into the grass?
Doesn't he realize how un-fun that is?
He can hardly roll.
Crazy kid.
Guess he's gotta learn that at some point.
Wait.
THAD GET OUT OF THE STREET!!!!
Clever kiddo figured out how to escape my ever looming presence at the top of the driveway. Such a Thad thing to do -- to have this mastermind idea executed with a completely straight face. Gah. I love him anyway.
His masculinity isn't threatened when he rides Ella's pink butterfly unicorn balance bike.
Lily has been eagerly awaiting this day. I think she was just as excited that Skyler can now ride his bike as he was. Now they can ride around the neighborhood together.
Way to go, Skyler! What a great way to ring in the New Year!
3 comments:
I love looking at photos of Benjamin exercising! Way to go, Skyler! Happy New Year everyone!
I had to come back to retrieve a few photos for my digital album.This post is fun on several levels ... well, except for the result of the sample at Costco. Not fair to look at that while in Hong Kong.
Looks like Skyler and Thad are preparing for their teens already - quoting Napoleon Dynamite "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!" Looks like they are on their way.
I know where you got your enthusiasm for staying up on New Years Eve from - me. I think the last time I stayed up for New Years Eve you may have still been at home. At least I'm able to enjoy New Years Day more than most other people ;-)
Post a Comment