Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend

We decided to devote Memorial Day weekend to camping in the backyard.  With that comes a dinner cooked over the fire.  We invited Lily and Skyler's best friend, Aanya, to come over and participate since she was soon going to be staying with her mom in India for a month.





After we sent Aanya across the street to go home, we settled in our 10 man tent which perfectly holds our 6 cots.  We read A Light in the Attic by lantern and then turned out the light.  Our tent is so cool.  The entire roof is made out of the same material as the windows so we all watched the stars as we fell asleep.  I even saw a shooting star!  It was pretty fabulous.  Although if we're going to be honest, Thad kept us all up and was the last to fall asleep because he was so enthralled with everything.

"I see a star!"
"I see a firefly!"
"I see another star!"
"I see a plane!"
"I see another star!!!!!!!!"

I was very grateful that I brought earplugs.

Then the girls and I woke up before 6 shivering because it was freezing cold.  Ben didn't even have his upper body covered and was as happy as a clam.  Lily, Ella, and I went inside to warm up with huge blankets while I checked the temperature.  Sure enough, it had gotten dangerously cold -- 60 degrees.  I'm not lying when I say I get cold easily.  Despite the cold and the very talkative Thad, I'm grateful we did it.  The kids had a blast.  We're planning a few more camping experiences this summer, one of which will be at the Outer Banks right on the beach.

No comments: