Sunday, April 29, 2018

Ivy's Birth

My OB, Dr. Sheshadri, is amazing.  At my 37 week checkup he walks into the exam room and without even checking me or Ivy, he says, "You're probably pretty miserable, right?"  Umm, yeah.  "Do you just want to be induced early?"  Umm, yeah.  "Okay let's set something up.  I'm allowed to induce you once you're 39 weeks.  Oh, it looks like I'm not on call that week.  Meh.  We'll make it happen at 38 weeks then.  No biggie."  He checked me and Ivy and then walked out.  I love that man.

I've heard his nurses complain about Dr. Sheshadri promising the world to his patients even when he shouldn't be, and then they're the ones in the background doing all this extra work because he likes doing what his patients want.  Lol.  Poor nurses.

So on April 26th, we checked in to the hospital at 6 AM, had my pitocin start at 7, and then my labor began.  This time I decided to get my epidural really early in the process instead of toughing it out until the contractions were horrible.  I don't know why I haven't done it this way before.  My labor was such a breeze and so enjoyable.  The only discomfort I felt was for the last 30 minutes when Ivy started really moving fast.  

I went to the hospital 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced.  I progressed really slowly for the first few hours, even after they broke my water and my contractions started becoming huge.  At 12:35 I texted my family: "6 cm 100% effaced.  Starting to move pretty quickly.  I'm guessing she'll be here in an hour."  Oh little did I know.  As soon as I sent that text I started feeling really uncomfortable and with every contraction I was gripping the rails.  The nurse had literally just measured me at 6 cm and I couldn't understand why I would be feeling this terrible already.  Ben kept saying, "Heather, I think you're already a 10.  We need to get your nurse."  And I kept saying that that wasn't possible.  I had been progressing so slowly!  Finally, Ben took matters into his own hands and grabbed some nurses in the hall.  They came in and checked me and told me I was at a 10 and needed to not push until my doctor arrived.  Luckily, Dr. Sheshadri was already on his way to check on me and arrived just a few minutes later.  But we had to wait for them to find a good gown for him because the one they had found was the kind he was allergic to.  I had to wait through 2 1/2 contractions for them to find him a gown and I was halfway through the third when I said, "I'm pushing!"  He told me to go ahead, got his gown on, and sat down right as he said, "The head's out!" all in that half contraction.  The rest of Ivy came right out.  She cried for the first minute and then they placed her straight on my chest and she immediately calmed down.  She was born at 12:49 -- just 14 minutes after I sent that text.


She is our lightest and longest baby so far!  7lbs 6oz and 21" long.

Dr. Sheshadri who has been the greatest doctor ever.  He was my doctor through all of my miscarriages and fertility treatments.  I only got to see him for a few of my appointments throughout my pregnancy, but I made sure that he was the one to deliver Ivy.  He is easily our favorite.

Ben in love with his little girl.  Naturally, Ben was at ease using his baby magic once again.  He spent our hospital stay soaking up Ivy cuddles, wrapping her up snug in a swaddle, and feeding her lots of bottles.  

My labor and delivery nurse was Danylle Johnson who used to live in our ward and moved to a neighboring ward a year ago.  It was so nice to have a familiar face be my nurse.  Danylle was so amazing.  She hung out with us and we had lots of HGTV chats and also talked about common friends.  
We had told Danylle that when I measure at an 8 I have about 10 minutes until I'm ready to push.  We have had nurses in previous deliveries not believe us and wait to get all the delivery supplies ready until I'm a 10.  Danylle was so sweet (and probably also listening to the spirit) because when she measured me at a 6 she said she'd just go ahead and set up the table for delivery just so we'd be ready whenever I hit a 10.  Little did we know Ivy would be born 15 minutes later.  If Danylle hadn't worked so fast in the end, I would have had to hold in Ivy even longer.  I'm so grateful for good nurses!


I was miraculously feeling great that night and so we told my parents to go ahead and bring the kiddos to meet their new baby sister.  I can't tell you how excited the kids have been for her arrival.  They have been on this very long journey of miscarriages and pregnancy with us and it has seemed like an eternity for them.









All 7 of us.  Complete!

Ben and I know that Ivy is our last and so we are genuinely soaking up all of this time with her.  We have a bigger perspective this time about how quickly children grow.  This sweet, sweet newborn time is such a gift.  We are completely in love.


It has been fun getting to know Ivy.  We couldn't believe how little hair she had!  But she is so, so beautiful.  We think she looks the most unique out of our five, yet she still definitely looks like one of ours.  She rarely cries and is just the most angelic little baby.  We're so excited to spend eternity with you, Ivy!

2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Loved learning more and can hardly wait to meet this little angel!

Lisa Christensen Bagley said...

My heart is so full, and it isn't even my baby!! Haha! You have such a beautiful family! (And you look so good after having a baby! I'm not sure that's fair! ;)) Congratulations!!