When I had Lily I had complications that wouldn't allow me to nurse her for very long. So by the time I was getting back into church-mode I wasn't nursing her too much so I never made a visit to the mother's room at church. I've had similar complications after having Sky but I've been able to work through them and so I've been nursing him at church. WOW. What an experience this has been! I didn't think a mother's room would be anything too special but now I know otherwise. I think they should rename it the "Supermom's Den." As I sit in the super-comfy rocking chairs (which I think they should let me roll to every class) I listen to the other supermoms talk about their experiences.
This one younger mom who has three "oh so sweet" children is living on her own for 6ish months while her husband works across the country (how on earth can women do that???? I feel like such a wimp without Ben). She talked about how hard it is being mommy by herself and shared one of her experiences:
One day she was talking on the phone with her mom when she noticed that everything was so quiet and calm. Miracle of miracles! She said even her daughter was hugging her leg and being all sweet and cuddly. Then she realized the dreaded truth that all parents know oh so well- silence is not a good sign. Then she looked around and realized that the daughter who was hugging her leg with one hand had a pair of scissors in the other and was cutting long lines up the back of her shirt. She was so shocked she gave her daughter a little smack on the diaper (which was conveniently full of a wet BM) which exploded out the top and got on her, her daughter, and everything around. She quickly took herself to a mommy time out so she could laugh it off instead of crying. Now that deserves a golden pacifier award if you ask me.
I just adore these kind of mommy war stories. I guess it makes me feel like my life is a little more normal than I give myself credit. I read a bunch of blogs and I always put myself down because I'm not doing something as well as they do, or my daughter actually has tantrums when other babies seem to be perfect. So here's the honest truth: I'm a mom who has struggles but at the end of the day (usually once they're asleep) I can tell myself it's all worth it. So the next time Skyler burps up all over me right after I've showered or when Lily "helps" me fold the laundry by scattering it all over the room I'll just remind myself that when I'm an empty-nester there might actually be a day when I wish I could have this for a moment longer. So bring on the spit up.
5 comments:
I promise you that you will wish for it again when you're an empty-nester.....sigh.....
Maybe we should just buy a house out here for Mom and Dad, and we'll send the kids to them, so we can get little small vacations. Does that sound good to you, Nanni?
You have a GREAT attitude. I think you are super-mom. I don't know how you're doing it as fabulously as you are!!
I love you!
I think you a great mom, and being a mom is so hard! But seriously, once Sky starts sleeping through the night, it will get so much easier!! I am a big, big fan of sleep. When I get my 8 hours, I can cope with just about anything. When I don't get sleep, life is just hard. But I already think you are supermom.
Post a Comment