Sunday, January 3, 2010

Thankful..... again.....


These past few days without Ben and my dad have been really hard. My mom's been having health problems, Hurricane Lily (yes that is what we sometimes call her. It's no exaggeration. I think she has the same amount of power and path of destruction as hurricanes....) has been in full force, and Sky has been teething and super clingy. I always wanted a clingy baby but now I just mock myself. He doesn't ever sleep through the night (in fact, last night he woke up 3 times), he won't take a bottle, he doesn't like solids, and he ALWAYS wants to be held by MOMMY. Let's just say that the past few days have been tough and that I'll have a huge sigh of relief when Ben gets back tonight. But the hardest thing of all has been the sleep deprivation. As all moms know, everything is 10 times worse when you're exhausted. So today after church, the babies went to sleep at the same time! Miracle of miracles! Do I even have to explain why I hopped right in bed? But of course, no sleep. I would drift off, and something would wake me up. And then I would get right back into drifting mode and something else wakes me up, and so on. Let's just say I ended up with Skyler in bed with me (and of course he just falls right asleep when he's with me...) and I'm at the end of my rope. So the "mommy weakness tears" start flowing and I just said a prayer to just be at peace. As soon as my prayer was finished my head was clear. No frustration, no exhaustion, no nothing. And then a hymn (How Firm a Foundation) started playing in my head.

How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said,
Who unto the Savior, Who unto the Savior,
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

In every condition-in sickness in health,
In poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land or the sea
As thy days may demand, as they days may demand,
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.

Fear not, I am with thee; oh be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

What's crazy about what happened was that I'm pretty sure I've never memorized the first three verses to this hymn, but it was so clear in my head! I'm so grateful that the spirit can bring peace and comfort into our lives when we sorely need it. I constantly think of how grateful I am for the gospel and I just weep on the inside for those who don't know about it or who choose not to live it. I can't imagine how hard and confusing life would be without the spirit. So although I'm soaking up this time that the babies are both still asleep (since of course, I can't... haha) I'm grateful for all that I have. I know I say this all the time on my blog (I really hope it doesn't get annoying for y'all) but I really have a lot to be grateful for..... especially Ben coming home tonight..... :)

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

I feel for you. Exhaustion is soooo difficult for me to work through. I've also had many "tired tears." I'm so glad that you have peace and that Ben is coming home!!

Karen said...

I remember telling myself MANY times, "This is what I Wanted!
This is what I Wanted!" Hang in there. The exhaustion goes away...in a few years...like 17 or 18!!

Cheryl said...

Ask your mom...exhaustion never goes away cause you always worry about your kids. :) But it's WORTH it!!!!!!

I love your blog because you so often bear your testimony!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Liz Wilcken said...

I've had the same hymn come to my mind in troubled times. Especially the 2nd and 3rd verses. And of course I bawled my head off. :) Well, I'm not sure I agree with what the other women have been saying, but I don't feel THAT exhausted with 3 kids. Or maybe I'm in denial? Or maybe I just revel enough in my ME time after the older two go to sleep, that I don't recognize exhaustion enough? It's not always there. But I understand clingy baby. That's Kate too.

Becca said...

What a great experience! I'm glad that Ben is now home to help care for the babies. I miss you guys!

Manda 'n' Noah said...

He just wants you cause you're such a great mom and don't ever forget it! your amazing and my role model love you!