Sunday, June 26, 2011

3

Miss Kim, Lily's speech therapist

Dear Lily,

on Friday we celebrated your 3rd birthday.  And 3 is a big deal.  Because now you're starting to remember.

"Remember" has been said to be the most important word in the dictionary.  And I know you don't remember a whole bunch, but that's OK.  Because I do.

I remember having you 2 weeks shy of turning 20.  I remember the awkward stares and the "Oh.  Good luck with that," kind of comments and turning to look back at you and knowing that it was more than worth it to have the most beautiful girl in the world in my arms.

I remember how you cried the first 2 hours of your life and then Daddy stuck his pinky in your mouth and you were instantly his.  Ironically, you instantly had him wrapped around your pinky.

I remember how you first started walking when I was in the hospital delivering Skyler 13 months later.  I remember thinking, "DANG IT!!!  I MISSED IT!!!!"  But that's alright.  I was able to rejoice with you when I got home.  Little did I know then that those little legs would never stop running.

I remember when you popped Skyler's fallen off umbilical cord in your mouth.  And I will never, ever, ever forget that morning.  Or stop laughing over it.

I remember when you spoon fed Skyler his rice cereal even though you were new using a spoon yourself.

I remember Daddy flipping you for hours on our bed without you ever getting tired of it.

I remember worrying about you, wondering if you were developing correctly, wondering if I was a failing mom.  You weren't developing correctly.  But that's OK.  We got to choose a speech therapist and that's how you got to meet and love Miss Kim.

I remember when you started reading books to Skyler.  Go, Dog, Go! and A Fly Went By have never been narrated so cutely before.

I remember lying in your bed with you as you rubbed your blankie softly across my face so that I would fall asleep with you.

I remember in Sacrament Meeting how you handed Skyler one of your oreos when he already had his hands full of them.

I remember so many things about you.  And now I know why remembering is so important: because by remembering the past, we make a better future. 

I can't wait to remember your future, too.

8 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Beautiful post, Heather!

Liz Wilcken said...

We love you to Lily. Even if we didn't call. And yes, I'm still you're favorite aunt!!! Love you Lily! You're gonna make an awesome 3 year old.

April Bishop said...

Aww... I remember how she and Sam looked so much a like in the beginning... And how cute she was when she came and visited us in WA. Totally beautiful post. She's a lucky girl to have you for her mom!

Chrissy said...

Happy Birthday Lily!!

Mary Ann said...

There are no words to express how much I love my Lillers!

thepodfather said...

Lily - I will always remember what a tremendous help you have been to me. Thanks.

Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday!!! Uncle Jim and I have wonderful memories of the couple of times we spent with your family! I'm so glad that you blog!

Becca Meservy said...

You have a wonderful gift Heather. I mean that so much.