Monday, July 25, 2011

Dear J.K. Rowling

WARNING: if you are one of the 3 people in the universe who hasn't read the final book of Harry Potter, be warned that this contains spoilers.



Dear J.K. Rowling,

I know you're never going to read this.  And that's okay because I know how many letters you get.... well, actually I don't.  I  just know it's a lot.

I wanted to thank you for writing Harry Potter.  I'm a 23 year-old mother of two and I'm not ashamed to say that Harry Potter has easily been my favorite book series.  Seriously, there is zero competition for that title. 

Last Saturday I went to go see the final installment of Harry Potter.  And I cried.  More than once.  And not when I thought I would.  I thought I would get emotional whenever I did when I read the book.  But nope, my worst moment in the movie was the very last minute.  I kept thinking to myself, this is a happy moment.  Why am I crying?  But I realized that it was because it was ending.  But let's not dwell on the ending, let's talk about the beginning.

I started reading Harry Potter just after the 3rd one came out.  My mom bought me the first three books together and I remember looking at the pictures on the cover and thinking, this book looks really cool.  Which now I realize was dumb because authors have pretty much zero control as to what their books actually look like.  I was in 5th grade and I remember keeping Azkaban open in my desk while I was supposed to be doing my schoolwork, which was strange for me since I'm OCD about getting all of my work done.  Ever since, I counted down days until each of the books came out. 

The only thing I hated about your books was that your world couldn't be real, and if I'm going to be honest, it's  definitely a good thing that they're not real.  Sure we do have our own modern day non-magical Voldemorts but I'm not so sure I could have handled drinking polyjuice potion or being in the same arena as dragons pumped with motherly hormones.  I wouldn't have wanted to see a huge Tupperware filled with expired, moldy food as my boggart.  Also, if I would have been put in Gryffindor I'm pretty sure I would have forgotten the password every other week and would have had to sleep in the hall.  And I'm pretty sure I would have died myself when I saw that Fred died.  The only reason I forgave you for that one is because you let George live.  Poor little one-eared George.

But I really really wanted to eat a chocolate frog -- so long as it melts in my tummy before it wiggles around everywhere.  And I would love to have an in depth interview with the sorting hat.  And I think scuba diving in the Black Lake during summertime would have been a blast.  And blowing all my money on Weasely Wizard Wheezes would have been fun, too.  And I may or may not have paid visits to Gringotts just for the ride down to my vault.  I would have loved to find out what my own patronus looks like (and if it would have been a whale that would be a real shame -- I can see it now: its blowhole whooshing away the dementors).

But I don't think that you're just cool because you wrote Harry Potter.  I think you're cool because you had the courage to.  I have a teensy bit of experience with writing a book (well, really, now there are two) and I know how hard it was to get past the thought of Am I crazy?!?!  You started writing when you were living on welfare in a really dark part of your life.  I started writing when my husband was unemployed and we were living with my parents.  I'm not trying to compare us (because let's get real, I'm no Jo Rowling) but I understand a little bit of where you're coming from.  Thanks for having the courage to create a world that got kids interested in reading.

In case my message isn't clear enough, I think you rock.  A lot.

Thanks for the ride.
Heather

3 comments:

Brian said...

Heather. Dear sweet Heather. You're a nerd. But it takes one to know one, so thanks for letting me steal book one about the same time you were reading it. I remember going through your Book Readers that would come home in your backpack and seriously hope you would pick out that kid/baby book of HP because I thought the summary and cover looked pretty cool too. If it weren't for you, I wonder when I would've eventually started the series. Oh, and since you're not the only HP nerd, I must correct you: chocolate frogs don't move. At least they don't in the book. The movie started that. :) If you ever go to Disney World, you and I have to visit HP land. K?

Brian said...

And I really need to learn to sign out of Brian's account....

Cheryl said...

We were going to go tomorrow, burt may have to wait as Jim is going for a dolonoscopy tomorrow. I'm anxious to see the last movie!
The 7th book came out while we were in New Zealand, so my copy is from New Zealand. I read it in the evenings and on the flight home. Jim and I have read every book together, except the last. I haven't been able to get him to read the last one on his own...I don't kmnow why.
My feelings about 'nerds' is that they make the world way more interesting than those that are considered just 'cool'.