Friday, July 1, 2011

Firework

I am the youngest of 3 girls.  When my parents conceived me they had already run out of the "musical gene" and I was left practically tone deaf (OK.... not true.  But I'm really bad at singing and I can't hear certain harmonies).

My sisters both play piano and sing amazingly well.  Everyday they'd fill our house with music as they practiced their talents and sometimes I would secretly cry in my room that I couldn't be them. 

I never enjoyed piano lessons or being in choirs, but I still wanted to be musical.  I thought I'd never be happy until I became as good as my sisters.  I thought I had to love what other people loved in order to be  normal.

My philosophy since then has been "If you want to be pretty amazing at something you can't be good at everything."  Obviously, I have taken a different road with writing since then.

Individuality makes life so much more interesting, I think.  I love watching different people mix, different people marry, and different people affect and change each other.  I love seeing different people have babies who are completely unique, as well. 

Each of us has a "thing" that contributes to the beauty of our world.  Mine isn't music (but give me a call next time you need me to clear a field of Elk.  I have some experience of Elk Bugeling under my belt.  That's the closest to public singing that you'll ever get with me.) 

And even though I am an embarrasment in some ways, I think I excel in others.  Just like you.

I don't usually post music since everyone has varying tastes, but I think this song could be the exception.  Happy Independence Day, y'all.  Don't forget to shine.



5 comments:

Michal Thompson said...

I would not have known you had no musical talent when I got to hear you sing every sunday!

Brian said...

Oh, Heather, you aren't bad at singing or playing! I actually admired you when you quitted piano, and took up art. You're very talented at that, and writing (don't look at my horrible sentence structure on the blog!!!), and dancing, and mommying, and making people laugh, and all sorts of other good things, that Becca and I just lack at.

Brian said...

and I'm obviously not Brian....

Cheryl said...

I love the song! Thanks for introducing me to it!

Mary Ann said...

Thank you for the great thought (and song)--you always do me proud!