Saturday, February 18, 2012

Good Friends

It was a couple of Mondays ago when I was on the phone with a good friend (and neighbor, and Relief Society President, and giver of the adult valentine in the previous blog post, I should add), and mentioned that the kids and I were spending the day at my parents' house 25 minutes away.  This happens a lot.  All four of us pile into our one car at 7:30 in the morning, drop Ben off at work, and then the kids and I head over to Nanni and Papa's house to play. 

That particular night was our scheduled Daddy Daughter Date Night at Chick-Fil-A so we went there as soon as we had picked up Ben from work (and they even gave Skyler free ice cream so he wouldn't feel left out!)  And then we finally got home around 7, the kids' bedtime.

I opened the door and WABAM!  I was hit with the smell of cleanser and the first thing I noticed were the piles of laundry stacked on my kitchen island -- towels, the kids clothes, Ben's clothes, etc. all washed, dried, and folded.  The floor was swept and mopped.  The dishes done.  The living room that had been left in a post-hurricane-like state that morning was picked up and vacuumed.  Surfaces sanitized.  Bathroom cleaned.  Laundry room organized.  Countless junk piles vanished.  (Okay, I realize I'm not giving myself such a great reputation, but let's get real, this was exactly how our house was).  Even the kids' toy room downstairs was reorganized in a much more sensible way than I had it arranged before.  Goodness gracious.  Sometimes I just need someone else to show me these things...

If anything could sum up the drastic change in our house, it would be what Lily said the moment we walked in: "This is our house?"  Apparently so... I was in a state of complete shock for about 20 minutes before I could actually talk. 

Now, no one will admit that they were the ones who did this for us.  BUT, we have a fairly good idea of who, especially since the only way inside was from the keypad on our garage. Nevertheless, our gratitude is the same.  Sure I was on bed rest.  Sure I was collapsing from pinched nerves and severe dizziness multiple times a day.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that someone had to come and clean my house for hours. 

Then this week I also got a care package from another friend filled treats and activities for the kids to do while I'm resting.  Seriously!  What's going on here?

I can't imagine life without good friends.  Ben and I have always been so grateful to be friends with such wonderful people who go above and beyond the norm.  It's true when they say that "friends are family that you choose." 

7 comments:

Carla and crew said...

someone needs to receive all that good service - and I guess it is your turn! you are grateful, so now enjoy it!

Linda Westover said...

If being the receiver of such service bothers you too much, just think of all the blessings you have just allowed those who did it to receive. Sometimes "they" need the blessings as much as the receiver of service does:)

Chrissy said...

That is awesome! Everyone needs good friends like that. I didn't know you were having nerve problems and dizziness. I will keep praying for you.

April Bishop said...

Tell your friends, your family appreciates them taking care of you, for us... =) Good friends are the best.

Liz Wilcken said...

Alright...it was me. You know me, getting all organized and becoming "Cleaning Freak Lady." JK. Wish I was close enough to do something like that for you....or even me.... ;)
PS- Is there a way to take off the "please prove you're not a robot" stuff at the bottom of your comments? I'm TERRIBLE at reading those!

Michal Thompson said...

you are hard not to love!

Mary Ann said...

I'm with April...I want your friends to know that your mother appreciates all they've done--they will receive blessings in my prayers.