Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden, So That's What We'll Do

Skyler is a Mama's boy and Lily is a Daddy's girl.  It will be interesting to see how #3 turns out. 


Last year we tried our hand at gardening.  We wanted to see what the quality of our soil was on its own, so we just added a little extra topsoil and nutrients.  We had success growing the plants, but very little success with getting the fruit from the plants, although we did get a lot of cantaloupe and green onions.  Our soil is pretty horrible.  So this year, things are changing.  On Saturday we built a raised garden wall (and when I say "we" it should be obvious that Ben did all the work, including fixing Lily's "help").  Next we'll get a bunch of topsoil delivered, and then it'll be time to mix in all the compost we've been working on for the past year.  Then, finally, it'll be time to seed.  Phew.  Wish us luck this time around.  And we're going to need it.  We've almost doubled the size of our garden this year so that it stretches across most of our backyard.  It'll be 48 feet by 6 or 7 feet.  That's a lot of food for this little family. 

On the list of things we're excited about are: getting new blueberry bushes from the farmers market, harvesting a bunch more cantaloupe, growing way too many tomato plants so that I can can approximately a bazillion jars of marinara and salsa, and finally having a chest freezer (a Black Friday find) in the laundry room to freeze veggies for the rest of the year. 

As weird as it sounds I think that gardening is one of the biggest perks (to me) about owning your own house.  I'm looking forward to learning things all over again this year.  Although I'm pretty sure that my enthusiasm will fade slightly when I'm 9 months pregnant and weeding in the middle of humid July...

5 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

You can come and stay with us at the end of the pregnancy! It won't be nearly as hot or humid ;) Lily's hair is sooo pretty. How is it Lily's hair is all thick and pretty, and my girls have thin scraggly hair? I don't get it...

Linda Westover said...

Around our garden, he who plants it takes care of it. My job is to pick and use/preserve. That might work for you, too, especially while you're pg:)

Darwin and Candace Johnson said...

do potatoes, they'll grow in pretty much whatever soil and are super easy and will last through the winter...tear, one thing I miss about Burns....

Karen said...

Love our raised beds. Are you making one big bed or several boxes?

April Bishop said...

Good luck. We have three blueberry bushes and they are the favorite thing in our yard. the girls keep really close track of their progress. and they've been really easy to grow and take care of. Gardens are fun