Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Recipe (or 2) for a Rocking V-Day

 You know it's going to be a good day when some friends stop by to bring your kids valentines and then you realize that your own friend left an "adult" valentine for you.  *ahem*  Yep.  That's my valentine y'all.  Luckily Ben doesn't feel too threatened by a piece of paper.

I really really really love Valentines Day.  Every single year that we've been married we've done a 2 course fondue dinner (thanks April for the fondue set you gave us for our wedding!)



 Step 1: Make weird looking French bread.


Step 2:  Chop up veggies and bread.  This may not look like a lot, but this casserole dish is the equivalent of a 9x13 pan.  I think I got a bit overzealous.  Onions, peppers, broccoli, bread, and mushrooms were on the menu.



 Since we have kids with toddler length arms, they each got a custard cup of cheese to dip their veggies in.

Then it was time for dessert.  Jumbo marshmallows, bananas, and strawberries all dipped in chocolate.


By the end of the night Skyler was trying to eat the rest of the chocolate in his custard cup with his fondue fork.  Knowing that he wouldn't give up until it was gone, I handed him a spoon so that he wouldn't be sitting there for eternity.  Dinner was scrumptious.

In case you're ever interested in doing your own fondue, here are my 2 (super easy) recipes:

Cheese Fondue
1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Milk
16 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
seasonings

In a pan on the stove, melt butter and milk together.  Add shredded cheese while stirring with a whisk.  Add seasonings (I added dill, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper). 


Chocolate Fondue
12 oz. chocolate chips (use your favorite brand.  The quality of the fondue reflects the quality of the chips)
2 Tbsp. shortening

Microwave in a glass bowl for a minute.  Stir.  Keep microwaving and stirring in 30 second increments until melted.  Should only take 2-2.5 minutes.

*This is the same recipe I use for making chocolate covered strawberries.  Simply wash and dry the strawberries.  Dip them in chocolate and lay them on a wax paper covered pan.  Refrigerate for an hour or until hardened.  Never pay lots of $$$$ for chocolate covered strawberries again.  I've made this for a few receptions.  It's fail proof.



5 comments:

April Bishop said...

I love fondue. Now I'm going to have to do this with my family or I'll be craving it for months... Fun valentine's tradition. I may have to copy you...

Brave Brooke said...

Yum! Looks like a great tradition!

Liz Wilcken said...

Sooo...I wanna know if you put your Valentine tattoo on you? ;) Like on your belly, so Ben could see it.. ;) Although I think Ben kinda resembles him...don't you?

Michal Thompson said...

i love this tradition!

Mary Ann said...

Fun stuff! I'm impressed with your tradition :D. (This is not a hint)