Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why I'm Glad I Blog

Yep.  It's swimsuit season around these parts.  Last week it was in the 80's and we washed the car a.k.a.  the best activity ever for the kiddos.  This was me at 20 weeks.  Halfway done!


This post may seem a little weird, but I've thought about writing this up for a long time.  So bear with me, even if it seems like a weird subject to blog about.  This is me stepping up on my soap box.

Not a day goes by (well, except perhaps the last couple of days that have involved potty training Skyler.... ugh) without me saying, "Why do they have to grow?"  I love how my kids' brains work.  I love laughing at and sharing my experiences with all of you.  But more than anything else, I love remembering them. 

I can't believe that I have a hard time remembering what some of our days in Rexburg were like.  Things cross my mind like, "What was that person's name, again?"  My brain has turned to mush and I can't rely on it like I thought I would be able to.  I remember Lily having milestone moments when she was a baby and thinking, "How could I ever forget this moment?"  But I did. 

But it didn't matter.  Because I recorded it on a blog. 

Sometimes for fun I'll go back and read some of my earliest posts and crack up as if they're brand new experiences because I've completely forgotten about them.  And I totally melt over all the pics of Lily and Skyler as babies.  Seriously, when did they stop being babies?

Some of my biggest regrets as a parent have been when I've neglected to record something.  Half of Skyler's first words were curse words.  Of course he didn't realize that he had a potty mouth, they were just everyday words in a toddler accent.  It was HILARIOUS.  I wish I could have recorded that. 

I wish I would have caught all the times that Lily has kissed Skyler's boo boos better so that he didn't have to run all the way over to me.  I wish I could record every single time Skyler cries so that he will understand the justice I feel when he also happens to have a child who earns the "World's Most Emotional Child" award, too.  I wish I would have shared more experiences about Ben and how he completely eats the kids up. 

But sometimes it really is too late.  Sometimes I don't record it while the memory is fresh.

So if you think blogs are one of those fads that will fade through time, that it's really just something you feel socially obligated to do because everyone else does it, take it from me that it will be something that you will treasure years down the road.  I was kind of weirded out about blogs back in the day, but then one random day I decided to start one and I still consider it to be one of the best decisions I ever made.  So if blogs go out of style in 5 years, I'll still be here.  And when I'm an empty nester, I'll be so grateful that I stuck to it.


6 comments:

Alex and Family said...

I totally agree. I don't care (well, I sort of do, but just a little) if anyone reads my blog. It's like my semi-public journal! And I'm already grateful I'm doing it too.

Now I just need to remember to write more about those little incidents that will be fun to remember, like you do :)

Thanks for posting! I'll be here with you in 5 years, 10 years, etc :)

April Bishop said...

I hear you! My girls' favorite books are the blog books I print every year. Brooke pulls them down all the time and reads them to her sisters. It's better than my journal - it has pictures!

Liz Wilcken said...

Yep. Special stuff. :) I still laugh over stuff I forgot about. I'll see what happened this day "x" number of years ago.

Oh, and you look AMAZING! Seriously. You have an amazing figure. Ben's a lucky guy ;)

Michal Thompson said...

amen sista

David & Brenda said...

Blogs are invaluable for those of us who live so far away. Thank you for this gift.

Cheryl said...

Thank you! I am so grateful to be able to follow your lives! I go from laughing to crying...what a treasure!