My favorite days are the ones when we throw everything we're supposed to do out the window and spend time as a family instead. That's exactly what we did this past Saturday.
One of the perks about our neighborhood is that it's across the street from a city park. The Neuse River runs through it and anyone with a fishing license is allowed to fish there. So we packed up the car, drove the whole 60 seconds to this location, and spent a few hours in the sun by the river. We could have walked down the river a little bit so that we weren't right next to the overpass, but I think Ben took pity on me in my pregnant condition and we stationed ourselves right next to the parking lot.
The reason for our fishing trip? Ben's new reel. That he got a killer deal on. That he is ridiculously in love with. That he happened to "forget" to tell me he bought it even though we tell each other every time we spend more than $10 on something. *ahem* Oh well. I'm still his biggest fan.
Catching fish = no luck.
Making kids happy = lots of luck.
I thought they'd get bored after a while but oh no no, I was wrong. We let the kids wade into the water and get their clothes wet. They got to squish their toes around in the mud and watch sticks float down the river. Sometimes it's worth the extra laundry to let them make memories like this (key word is "sometimes"). They were in heaven finding butterflies and splashing water at each other.
The kids got soaked. Ben played with his new toy. And I sat in a camping chair watching my ankles swell up in the extreme 75 degree heat. :) We ate our subs and gummy bears and then once I started blacking out and losing my hearing (thank you low blood pressure), we stripped down Skyler (thank goodness no one else was around) and drove home. We crawled into our beds and took very long naps. When we woke up we went to the kids' favorite restaurant: Costco. Oh those $1.50 hot dog meals. We're obviously such big spenders. By the end of the day the kids felt like they had just gone to an amusement park. Oh how I love that about this age.
This weekend we're not going to throw our plans out the window though. Ben's camping with the kids in the back yard. :)
4 comments:
I want a picture showing Lily and Skyler standing next to you so I can see how tall they are. :) Mom says they're getting soo tall, and that Sky is almost as tall as Lily.
Aren't those days the best? We had a fun Saturday outside as well. Camping in the backyard sounds like it will be so fun for Ben and the kids :)
Looks like Ben is well fed! He's getting to look more and more like Joe;) Sounds like a great time for one and all!
Sounds like a wonderful day! Reminds me of the fun times we used to have when our own children were small...and not so small.
Post a Comment