Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tighty Whities

He's showing you his tighty whities.  And his honey button*.


I have 3 things that are on my pre-baby to-do list.
  1. Paint the entire downstairs.  Semi-check.
  2. Get kiddos to sleep in the same room.  In bunk beds.  And still sleep. Without them having a party. Uncheck.  (Putting that one off as loooooooong as possible).
  3. Potty train Skyler.  BIG FAT RED CHECK.  WOOT!
If I've learned anything since becoming a parent of 2 it is that you have to do things differently with each kid.  Skyler and Lily are polar opposites and so I just assumed that since Lily's potty training experience was so dang easy, Skyler's would be horrifying.  So I prepared for the worst. 

With Lily, we pumped her full of watered-down soda.  This presented a problem with Skyler since he is the only kid in the universe who hates both soda and juice.  He's a water kind of guy (he's definitely my child).  There was absolutely no way to turn his bladder into a water balloon ready to burst. 

So I had to do some thinking.  And I came up with this very scientific formula:
tickle time = tinkle time
Yep.  You read that right.  Study hard future potty trainers.  Make sure this is done while the trainee is on the potty.  Otherwise you're in trouble.
And if you have a boy make sure to hold down the fire hose because tickle time will equal shower time in less than a second...

So after our first completely unsuccessful day (which put so much pee on my floors I wanted to put potty training off for a few months), I started sitting him on the toilet and tickling him.  Wabam.  He magically started peeing.  And then got candy for it.  After a couple of days I didn't have to tickle him and he even started pooping in the potty. 

Now I'm not going to pretend that Skyler is perfect.  We only started 2 weeks ago.  I'd say that half the time poop still ends up in his undies.  But we are thrilled to have both of our kids out of diapers before #3 gets here.  Yay Skyler!

*We used to call our kids' bums honey buns.  Which then turned into honey bunnies.  Which then turned into honeys for short.  Skyler is so obsessed with his own honey buns (sigh) that he started calling his belly button a honey button. 

9 comments:

Linda Westover said...

Keeping those "big kid" undies nice and clean was always good incentive for my little ones to get the poop into the potty. But whether the kid feels that sense of accomplishment or not, it definitely IS one for mom. Good job, Heather!

Karen said...

You know how much he'll LOVE this picture at his Eagle Court of Honor?? :)

Liz Wilcken said...

My MIL swears by tickling knees to potty train your kids. Never worked for mine. Glad Skyler picked up so fast! You're lucky. Ben took FOREVER to get it!

I was worried about putting Ben and Rose in bunk beds together too. And they did party every single night until a week and a half ago, when Ben switched rooms. Now they miss it. I just let them party, as long as it was a quiet party. They did LOTS of quality bonding then, that they'll have to enjoy the rest of their lives, and I don't regret it. It is hard at first, but sooo worth it. Just enjoy the tons of giggles and sharing of beds they'll do. It's cuz they love each other and it'll warm your heart.

Michal Thompson said...

love it, being successfully potty trained is heaven!

Rachel said...

Who knew you were so scientific? I literally laughed out loud, I will definately remember that.

Becca said...

Gooooo Skyler! And Puebar. :) We busted up laughing when we saw his picture and the story is just as good!

Mike Hopkins said...

No one wants tickle time to turn into TRICKLE time, am I right?

April Bishop said...

Great job Skyler! But I have to say I was hoping for a picture of Ben in his tightie whities...

Cheryl said...

Forget the eagle court of honor...h's going to love this pic at his wedding reception!