Sunday, May 6, 2012

All Skyler



Skyler is my Little Handsome.  And when I say "my" I should say "our" but really "my" is a better description.  Since the day he was born, he has refused to believe that his umbilical cord was cut [1], and somehow thinks that I should be with him every single moment of his life (except for when he needs privacy to do things like, oh you know, spread vaseline on our walls).  He is a chubby cheeked, constant eating, letter/shape knowing lap dweller. 

I realize that most of my posts are about funny or crazy experiences, or sometimes even frustrating ones about Skyler being so emotional, so I wanted to write a normal everyday post about the real Skyler. 

This little man is the world's biggest sweetie.  Anytime he sees a baby or a baby animal his voice gets so high pitched that I swear dogs in China become alert [2].  He goes up to them and tickles them while saying things I can't even understand (and he's a pretty amazing talker for his age).  If he can't reach them (say, if they're on TV) then he "air tickles" them.  (See dog loving image below)

I am thinking about contributing to his college fund by signing him up for food eating contests in the future.  This 2 year-old eats as much as me.  While preggers.  The way to Skyler's heart really is through his stomach.  If he is inconsolable we go for the snacks.  My only problem with that (besides the fact that our food bill when he's a teenager will be astronomical) is that he becomes so eager to eat so much at once that he ends up not being able to eat because his mouth is so full. 

He is obsessed with balls.  There are two things in the world that Skyler doesn't share: food and balls.  And don't just think that the term "balls" is restricted to that round thing that you throw and kick.  Nope.  Balls = beads on my jewelry, pilates balls, balloons, food shaped like balls [4], and even things that may just roll like a ball [5].  My dad even told me that when Skyler took a nap in one of the bedrooms in my parents' house that he unscrewed the knobs on the dresser because they were spherical.

He is very squishy.  And we like to squish him.  Especially his honeys. [6]

He is so full of love.  Every morning when he gets in my bed to wake me up, he gives me the biggest hug and kiss.  Then he has to give #3 some love and she gets multiple big brother kisses each day.  It is a very common thing for Skyler to be sitting in my lap, turn around to look at me, put both of his hands on my cheeks, and say, "Mommy, I love you," and then snuggle into me. 

It's true that Skyler is a tough kid to raise.  He gets upset over the smallest things and he is going through a major rebellious phase right now.  But from what Skyler takes out of me he more than replenishes.  I don't know what I'd do without the Little Handsome. 


[1] This is figuratively speaking.  Thank.  Goodness.
[2] Possibly even Australia since that's even farther [3].
[3] This is not true.
[4] Oranges, peas, meatballs, etc.  Food in ball form is even more off limits when it belongs to Skyler. 
[5] DVD's, toilet paper rolls, used tissues scrunched up...
[6] Although that came back to bite me when the other day he came up to me, gave my bum a nice slap, and said, "Oh it's so cute!!!  SQUISH!  SQUISH!" 

Skyler and Mia are tight.  When she was staying with us these two would snuggle together on the couch while watching TV.

2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Warm fuzzies all over the place! We love you, Skyler!

Michal Thompson said...

sounds like a corbin to me! Love them to death but they can make you pull your hair out!