Sunday, October 14, 2012
General Conference Success
I was determined that this would be the year that my kiddos would get something out of conference. I thought that it was a possibility. Especially after I saw this idea off of Pinterest. You choose a word or picture, and put it with a bowl of candy. Whenever your kids hear or see the word, they can go up and get a piece from what they just said. The results? It worked like a charm. I was dumb and thought that "missionary" would be one of the less common words, so I put whole cookies in its bowl. And then they go and change all the missionary regulations and the kids are already full within the first little bit.
After the first day, I discovered that taking out some of the sugary candy and replacing it with popcorn is a great idea. The kids listened and did really well. Our words were prayer, President Monson/prophet, Jesus Christ, temple, scriptures, missionaries, choose the right, and tithing. Lily even started bartering with me toward the end. When they would talk about blessings, she would ask me if she could get some candy corn because blessings are a type of prayer. WHAT?!?! Little smarty-pants. Or when they would mention Book of Mormon prophets, she would say, "They're in the scriptures!" and go up and get some more goodies.
Our kids weren't very good at eating their meals last weekend, though. But if it's only 4 days of the year, I think it was a HUGE success. I sense a new tradition coming on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Terrific idea! I bet it would even work for adults. :)
Totally worked for us too. Since I got a big bag of mixed Hershey candy bars at Sams Club (a lot cheaper than buying lots of bags of small candy), we had to say only one piece of candy per talk, after the kids wouldn't eat their lunches on Saturday. Ben kept complaining that they never said the word "family" (big Reese's cups). But of course, every time he'd leave the room, they'd say it :)
That is such a GREAT idea! I am going to try this next session with Aiden.
Don't you wish we'd known about this when YOU were kids?
Post a Comment