Wednesday, November 7, 2012
2012 Election
I try to keep my political opinions to myself considering how dang annoying it is to listen to anyone's complaining (regardless of party). I don't enjoy listening to bashing and I'm sure no one would enjoy listening to me bash. But, this is a very historical election and since this is my blog and I still have the freedom of speech, I'm sharing my own opinion. Feel free not to read. I won't be offended. :)
I am thankful for the opportunity I have to live in a country where the peoples' voices are heard because far too many in the world don't have that privilege. I won't keep it secret that I voted for Mitt Romney. It wasn't even a difficult choice for me. And no, it's not because I'm LDS and he's LDS. It's because he had a plan that I agreed with (plus a pretty impressive resume) and, to be honest, I think Obama is pretty horrible. I think he likes to say nice things while moving people by speech, and then do his own thing (or just plays golf). But despite my opinion, it is just my opinion. I am grateful that people actually went out to vote and did their civic duty, even if my own vote didn't really matter.
When I got on facebook this morning and it was filled with people talking about having food storage and ammo, I have to admit that I was thinking the exact same thing. Do I think that Obama equals the end of the world? Probably not. But I think it's a definite step toward it. We know that we need a year supply of food anyway, so even if this isn't the reason why, hopefully it gets people to actually become more motivated to follow this important counsel.
One of my biggest concerns is Obamacare. It worries me that some people think it's such a blessing. Listen, Ben and I have been without insurance for years and we survived. I'm grateful to be able to afford real insurance now. It really is a blessing in case anything crazy happens to someone in our family.
Another one of my concerns is how we will stand in the world. How can we defend innocent countries properly if our military shrinks and we get rid of our nukes? America has a HUGE role to play in world politics and I feel like we just flushed the hopes of many non-Americans down the drain. It's understandable that a country worries about itself, but I wish that others would have thought about those who depend on our strength.
Despite my disappointment and the fact that I literally got sick to my stomach today out of fear, my only comfort is the gospel. I am more grateful than ever to have a consistent eternal knowledge of the real truth. I have been reading the Old Testament nightly and one thing that has opened my eyes is when I read about the long line of evil rulers who rule one generation and the next evil ruler rules the next generation. I am thankful that I don't have to hand my entire lifetime over to one ruler. I am thankful that every four years we get a vote, and that no one can win all the time, because wouldn't we all just love that? I am thankful for church leaders who can direct us where we need to go. I am thankful for the Holy Ghost and that we can be individually guided. I am thankful that this life is just a speck in the eternal timeline and that someday our current struggles won't be struggles.
So this Thanksgiving, I really will be celebrating our country and all that we have to be thankful for. I'm happy for my liberal friends while I hold onto my own opinions and worry a little. Despite my worries, I realize that our country is a far better place to live than most. I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about my children's safety on a daily basis and that I don't have to worry about having the basics like food and shelter. Hurricane Sandy really reinforced my opinion of what's truly important in life.
Yesterday, on Election Day, I fasted. I knew it was a tight race and that either side could win, so I fasted that the Lord's will be done and that I would be able to accept who won. I will pray for Obama even if I don't agree with all he does.
On a side note, Ben and I did figure that it would take 65 gallons of gas to get our van to Jackson County should we go by car. Just saying..... :)
God bless America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Too funny I just posted my feelings about the election too! You rock, Heather!
I know how you feel. But be grateful you live in a conservative state. Our state just approved RECREATIONAL marajuana (and guess where the extra money from all the profits are going to? Anti-drug programs in schools), AND same-sex marriage. You should have seen how it was put on our ballot, it was so evil. They asked us if we approve or disapprove same-sex marriage AND religious freedom. It was evilly done. *Sigh.* Brian and I are thinking about moving to the South just to protect our poor kids, but we figure it won't be long until the whole US is this way. Lots of prayers to our gov. leaders.
I'm not Obama's biggest fan or anything either, but just had to say that the pre-existing condition clause of Obamacare doesn't kick in until 2014 (it's already in effect for children, but adults aren't until then). So hopefully your friend won't have any more trouble when that goes into effect.
I feel like any president with a Congress ruled by the opposing party would also be in the same position that Obama is in. I seem to recall that Bush was in office and had a Democratic-majority Congress and had trouble getting things passed that he promised because the Dems had different ideals and would refuse to pass the things he wanted to do. Now the shoe is on the other foot. It's too bad both parties can't just work together to find the ideal that's right for America, whether a Dem or a Rep came up with it, instead of trying to be so oppositional.
So beautifully expressed. Thank your for being a light in this troubling time. Thank you for being a voice for all of us who feel as you do. And thank you for making us smile. 65 gallons, eh?
i have felt the same way... this is just a sign of the times. So sad. I was up all night so worried about the fact that Obama won.
Post a Comment