Number one: I sure hope I don't look as fat in real life as I look in this picture. Gag.
Number two: Yes. I got to meet Ally Condie again. It reminded me of how much I like her in real life.
Last night I went to my local independent book store to enjoy a night out with some writing/reading girlfriends and to meet Ally Condie. If you're unfamiliar with her Matched trilogy, I'd recommend it -- that is if you think a dystopian novel written by a poet sounds fascinating. I have enjoyed reading her books, even if they're not my number one favorites. I guess sometimes I just need that poetic fix.
I haven't talked about this since my one and only blog post when I revealed that in my spare time I enjoy writing. I guess the reason why I don't talk about it much is because it is SLOW moving. But I can say that it is always in my head. I am constantly figuring out plot strategies while I'm fighting the part of me that asks, "Am I crazy for doing this?"
But I haven't accomplished nothing. I almost completely finished a book last year. I wrote over 50,000 words which equals about 200 book pages. I loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved everything about it. But it was generic and badly written. But it was so much fun and taught me that this is a very therapeutic way for me to stretch my brain while relaxing at the same time. I knew that there was no potential in that story. I think one day down the road I may go back to it, fix it up, and make it look pretty, but not today.
One night in January of 2011, I was having a hard time falling asleep. An idea popped in my head -- a really unique idea that I had never heard of before. I immediately thought that if I could figure out how to write better, a book with this idea could have a lot of potential. I grabbed a pen and notebook from my bedside table, tip-toed to the bathroom, turned on the light, and wrote out the basics of my story for over an hour. I created an entirely new futuristic world. But it is most definitely a sci-fi story, and as with any sci-fi story it has required a lot of research. After hours and hours and hours of research, trying to make everything work and be legitimate, Ben finally just told me to write it up anyway, that not everything has to be proven possible. So that's what I have been doing. And my ideas are flowing more rapidly now that I don't have to stay stuck in a rut of "this idea isn't possible."
So no, I have not given up. In fact, if anything, I wish I had more time to work on my writing. But at the end of my life, I want to know that I spent quality time with my family. I only have 24 hours in a day just like anyone else and balancing children, a husband, a calling, housework, sleep, cooking, and fun is a chore in itself. Writing gets shoved into my hours of insomnia and evenings when Ben's not home and Ella doesn't require being held. And when I'm feeling a little greedy every now and then, I'll let my kids watch a movie or two on the days when my ideas are really flowing and I need to sit in front of the computer to record it all.
Maybe this book will be another failure. Maybe the next one will be, too. But for now I'm going to keep exercising my writing skills until it turns into something worth sharing. Maybe that will be my resolution for next year: to finish this book.
3 comments:
I appreciate your musings, Heather, and hope that some day we will get to read one of your books...even if unpublished.
I thought I would make the comment here to your readers that if you have missed the last few blogs, be sure and go back to them. They are well worth reading. When I brought up this post you couldn't see the last recent ones and those who haven't been to the blog in a couple of days may miss them.
I cannot wait to read your book! So excited!!!
You are amazing!!! You are an inspiration to anyone who reads your blog and has had the desire to read! Unfortunately I am not one of them...
Post a Comment