This is a post solely about my book that I'm writing. I have been tagged by another member in my writing group and so it's my turn to share a little bit about it with my faithful blog readers. This book, though I almost never talk about it with anyone, is very dear to me but it is definitely a work in progress and I have a long way to go before I would be willing to share it with anyone.
Q1: What is the working title?
A: Currently, it doesn't have a title. I really want it to be something profound, but it just hasn't come to me yet. For now, I just think of it as "The Night League."
Q2: Where did the idea for the book come from?
A: The idea actually hit me in the middle of the night when I couldn't fall asleep. The thought that hit me was, If the world were stuck permanently where one hemisphere was left in darkness and one in light, how would humanity survive? And how different would the world be? And would it be a natural or a man made occurrence? I have gained bits and pieces of inspiration from all sorts of places and from lots of research.
Q3: What genre is your book?
A: I want to think of it as YA. But seeing as the main character is about 23, I guess it's actually considered Adult. But I think it would be appropriate for both, especially considering that, like the Matched trilogy, I imagine that I would add a different point of view in each book. In my mind this would be a trilogy.
Q4: Which actors would play your characters in your movie?
A: Well, hardly anyone reading this would even know who my characters are so I'll just say that I wouldn't mind Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, or Colin Firth as side characters.
Q5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A: This is the part where I cheat. There is no way I could summarize my book in one sentence, so instead I'll share the blurb I wrote for it a few months ago: In
the not so distant future, when the world has almost completely stopped its
normal spinning pattern, Piper takes on a secret job in the Night Hemisphere –
the deserted half of the world where murderers are banished to die. Working with a team of some of the world’s
top specialists, Piper enlists herself to finish a project that could literally
change the world. Secrets, betrayal, and
romance fall into her life as she is led to wonder how far she is willing to go
to save humanity.
Q6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
A: I will do everything I possibly can to have it represented by an agency. But my odds of being published are slim.
Q7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
A: I'm coming up on two years now, but know that this hasn't been an every day thing. I wish it were since writing is my favorite hobby, but I consider it my play time/therapy and I can't squeeze it in everyday. My goal is to have this book finished this year, the sooner the better, and to have a time allotment each week for writing.
Q8: What books would you compare your story to, within its genre?
A: I have no idea book wise. But maybe a mixture of Avengers, A-Team, and Inception with a chick-flick and sci-fi twist.
Q9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
A: Without getting too personal, I started writing in general when Ben was unemployed the first time. It was a fantastic way for me to write out some of my feelings while creating a whole world and story at the same time. Then the hobby stuck and I can't go a day without wanting to write something.
Q10: What else about your book might pique your readers' interest?
A: One of the little things that I love about my book are all of the futuristic inventions I wish I had in real life. Besides writing fun dialogue between characters, I really enjoy thinking up things that I could imagine existing in the future. Hair styling products, weaponry, medications, medical equipment... I have a blast thinking up new things for every aspect of futuristic life.
So there you have it! A little piece of my book. I would tag someone else, but I just don't know anyone else who's writing a book who also writes a blog. So if that's you, consider yourself tagged.
8 comments:
Deseret Book has a trade imprint - Shadow Mountain. I could hook you up...It sounds fantastic to me!
I think your book sounds amazing! I am excited to read it when you are finished.
I get to read this before the general public does, riiiiight? :)
It's nice to get a brief glimpse into your book. It really sounds interesting! I would love to read it when you feel comfortable sharing further.
I think your book sounds great, and when it gets published, I will pre-order it!
LOVE getting new info on your book! I'm dying to read it even more now!!
LOVE getting new info on your book! I'm dying to read it even more now!!
can't wait! I would love to be a proof-reader. I am horrible at finding errors like that...not that there would be any.... but I didn't think I could just say, "hey, I want to read it before it gets published!" ;)
Post a Comment