I went to my cardiologist for the first time today since I was instructed to visit him when I went to the ER. Sure enough, when I arrived in the (very large) waiting room, I noticed that, of course, I was the only person in there under the age of 65ish. Excellent. Nothing gives you a boost of confidence quite like that.
I had another EKG done and sure enough I have a heart block, but barely. I have a first degree heart block and it's only very serious once it's a third degree. So I learned that for a normal person it takes your heart 200 milliseconds (.2 seconds) to pump blood from your upper heart chambers to your lower ones. For me, it takes 235 milliseconds. In other words, I'm going to survive. And a pacemaker doesn't look like it's in my near future.
But upon further questioning the cardiologist thought it was interesting that I only have problems when I'm standing. For the first time ever, a doctor was brilliant enough to take my blood pressure and pulse with me lying down, sitting up, and standing up. Boom. There's my REAL problem.
Apparently I have something called neurocardiogenic syncope aka vagal episodes. This isn't anything major at all. From what I understand it means that my body has a hard time regulating my blood pressure? So while all y'all have to watch your salt intake, I have to eat extra salt. Booyah.
But since I have both neurocardiogenic syncope and a heart block, my cardiologist wants to keep an eye on me. So, I officially have to become best friends with the heart monitor that I am now sporting because it's going to be my buddy for the next month. Month. And poor, poor Ben. Whoever wore this heart monitor last probably soaked the neck strap in axe cologne because I smell like a man. Gross. So ladies, do not be swept off your feet when you smell my manliness. Because it's me -- not whatever guy who's standing next to me.
I've worn a heart monitor before for 72 hours when I was pregnant with Skyler and it told me absolutely nothing. I'm praying that this month long one will do the trick and we will know how best to help my problem long term. I'm pretty exhausted from playing Diagnosis Pinball and it will be nice to get the sure answer at my appointment in 6 weeks.
2 comments:
Huh. I wonder if maybe I need more salt too? I know I'm not quite as bad as you, but maybe that and extra water will help me out. And my condolences to you and Ben and your manliness smell. But, hey, it's better than arm pit smell, right? Love you!
I can see why you directed the family to the blog; lots easier explaining it all just one time! We are grateful that the doc didn't find major issues and that you are finding answers. (P.S. Don't go shooting any rabid cats while you wear the monitor - for anyone who is curious, ask Benjamin)
Post a Comment