Monday, March 4, 2013

My Diagnosis

Everything started on March 1st.  I woke up with a bright spot in my eye (very similar to that spot you get after a picture is taken) and it didn't go away.  I discussed it with my ob/gyn that morning and he said not to worry about it, that it would go away within a couple of hours.

So I waited.  And it didn't go away.

After 36 hours into my vision problem, I started researching online.  Of course WebMD and other similar websites like to tell you you're pretty much dying, so I took everything with a grain of salt.  The only diagnosis I could find that fit my problem was a detached retina.  Everything online said that this was a medical emergency and that if you don't get it treated right away, you could go blind in that eye. The nurse I talked to on the phone said the same thing. I am one who does not like to go to the doctor for my own problems.  I don't like spending money on myself, even when it deals with my own health.  I also don't like accepting help.  (I'm working on this with my therapist right now actually).  So deciding to go to the hospital was a real stretch for me.  But I wasn't going to mess around with possible blindness.  There was a point right before I left for the hospital that I almost convinced myself to stay home, but the spirit told me to go.  So I did.

My parents came to watch the kids and Ben took me to the ER.  When I described what was happening they had me skip the eternally long waiting line and go straight to triage and then straight back to the actual ER.  A doctor did a few tests on me, including 3 eye tests and one EKG. The eye tests said that my eye was completely normal and that it wasn't the cause of my problem.  He wanted me to have another test done by an opthamologist (just to be sure) and an MRI done by a neurologist, but neither of them were at the hospital since it was a Sunday night.  By the time I was getting ready to check out, the doctor came in to tell us the news: that I probably have MS.

We went home pretty depressed.  I knew MS is no fun deal.  I also know that it's a lifelong battle.  So we tried to keep positive but neither of us slept well.  We were both pretty freaked out.

When I woke up this morning I followed the instruction my ER doctor had given me: to see an opthamologist who would then refer me to a neurologist.  The opthamologist checked out my eyes and gave me the good news.  This is all an eye problem after all!  It is most definitely NOT MS.  So I don't even have to see a neurologist after all.  The diagnosis was actually very similar to what we originally thought I was suffering from.  I have a swollen retina, caused by stress.

The doctor told me that it should go away on its own, but if it doesn't, in a month or two I can have laser surgery to fix my retina.  I'll take that over an MS diagnosis any day!

Despite the completely off diagnosis I got at the hospital, Ben and I are still grateful we went.  Because even though I don't have MS, we did learn something from my EKG.  I have always known that I have a heart murmur, but now I know that I have a heart block.  For those of you who are just as completely unaware as I was about what a heart block is, let me tell you.  A heart block means that there's a problem with the electrical pulses in your heart.  In my case, I have a delayed beat every minute or so.  My problem is not severe, but if it worsens, I will need to get a pacemaker.  I also have to start seeing a cardiologist.  My heart block is the reason why I am constantly dizzy, lightheaded, and occasionally pass out, especially when I'm pregnant.  No ob/gyn has ever been able to tell me why.  They always told me to just drink more.  Now I finally finally FINALLY know what is wrong with me.

So the Lord works in mysterious ways.  I woke up with a weird spot in my eye to let me know I have a heart problem.  Makes total sense, right?  Either way, I'm grateful I finally have answers to questions about my own health that I've had for a long time.  And I'm thankful that we now know how to continue forward and treat my problem.  And I'm thankful I don't have MS!  What an awesome day.  Now to pay all those medical bills....

8 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

What a lovely roller coaster our family just went on! Glad you're mostly ok. Grateful it's NOT MS for sure. Glad I don't have to be paranoid either. I'm super happy for you, Ben and the kids. Love you all! (And if you know if the murmur has anything to do with the block, then I'd really like to know....cuz yeah, I might still be a teeny bit paranoid about that for the twins' sake.)

Heidi Henderson said...

Glad everything is... OK, for the most part :) You are an amazing woman and glad you took care of things... cause you just never know! Love ya!

Sarah Baird said...

Oh my goodness! What a roller coaster! I'm glad everything looks a lot brighter than when this whole situation started. Lorin and I will keep you in our prayers.

Cheryl said...

I am so glad it's not MS! Having to get a pacemaker one day isn't a piece of cake either... I am glad you know what you have and that you were able to get the medical help you needed. Emergency isn't covered by your health insurance?

I'm also glad you have been able to receive counselling with a LDS therapist. When I was at BYU, in education, we were required to visit a therapist. I thought it was strange, because at that time I had nothing to talk about. However, since then I have visited a psychologist and a good one can be very helpful!

David & Brenda said...

We said a LOT of prayers during and following the ER visit; and now we are saying a LOT of prayers of gratitude. God does "move in a mysterious way His wonders to perform". I am sure gratitude will be the flavor of your days for some time to come.

Chrissy said...

So glad you are okay!! While I was reading this, I was just shaking my head. Jonathan can't stand ER because they are notorious for stuff like this, just throwing out diagnosis. My aunt got valley fever here. While in the ER, the doctor told her it was lung cancer. She got ready to die, gave her husband permission to remarry, etc. Yeah, she's fine. I saw her last month and she is doing well. But the ER doctor scared her to death! And cardiologists are great. It is the hardest fellowship to get into, of all the internal medicine subspecialties. They are usually really smart and dedicated. I am praying you get a good one! So glad you are okay!! ♥

Kasey Q said...

I had no idea this had happened! So glad you are okay and that you know what is REALLY going on with you now. Sending hugs your way.

Tami Price said...

Heather we are so grateful you are ok and we know your family will be blessed and watched over! We are so excited for #4 to come! You are amazing!!