Ben's parents have been planning to serve a mission and submitted their papers a little while ago. Yesterday their call arrived and all of us kids got on our computers or phones for a video conference. Since this is the first time I've ever been able to send off an immediate family member on a mission, I was really excited for this call! And their call is awesome! They're covering almost all of Asia. (They're covering the countries in white in the second picture). They will be serving as mental health advisors which isn't surprising to me since Dad is a psychologist.
Ben has been on a campout with the scouts (but was still able to get wi-fi for the announcement) and so the kids and I have been looking at lots of pictures of all the countries they'll be over. It has been breathtaking to see all the diverse cultures and the beautiful nature in that area of the world. I know I can speak for Ben when I say that we will be crossing our fingers to afford plane tickets to visit!
They will travel all over, but they will be based out of Hong Kong. Here is a picture from lds.org of their mission and also another map of their area.
Here are some pictures that I came across during my internet travels.
Hong Kong
Laos
Sri Lanka
Nepal
Malaysia
India
Bhutan
Mongolia
Pakistan
Taiwan
Singapore
Thailand
The mission also includes China, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Burma, Dhaka, and New Guinea. Although it isn't certain that they will get to go to each of these countries, it is definitely certain that they'll get to visit some of them. I personally have always wanted to go to Thailand, so I'm really crossing my fingers that they will get to go there and eat some really good food while riding an elephant on the beach. Too much?
Anyway, we know that Mum and Dad will make fantastic missionaries. We are very excited for them to have the opportunity to serve the Lord starting July 7th. It should quite the adventure!























4 comments:
Congratulations to Dave and Brenda! I'm sure they will do a lot of good on their mission. So the big problem will come in a little less than 2 years from now, when they are loving the people and the work so much, but also wanting to see the grandchildren again - which will win out? Extend the mission, or pinch some cheeks? Not an easy choice. Actually it's a no-lose decision, so those are always nice.
That's so exciting! I think the only advice I can give since I have family members from those areas and lots of friends from there as well, is to just go with the flow of driving. It's insane in Asia. In Mongolia and other Asian areas, people will drive on the sidewalks, just to get where they want to. But the culture is so amazing and diverse. Enjoy!
I know! So exciting! Great post. I want to go too. But only if I can go to all the places you just posted pictures of... Let's go together, shall we?
Oh, my! I can hardly believe we are reading about US!!! I was actually feeling calm until I looked at your pictures! It is all so FOREIGN! Thanks, Heather, for posting this little mini-tour. Exciting days lie ahead!
Post a Comment