Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving In Pennsylvania

For quite a while, Ben and I have been planning on visiting Trina and Robert (or "Mrs. Roberts" according to Skyler) in Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving.  We chose the route that goes through the mountains and, from what we were able to see through all the fog and rain all the way up, it was a gorgeous drive.  Very holiday-ish.  The kids were fantastic all 11 hours in the car and even when we were crawling the last hour and a half through freezing rain in the mountains.

 
 One of the best parts for Lily and Skyler was when it snowed the day before Thanksgiving.  Poor Lindsey and Alan were at school and didn't get to join in.
 

I made the kids double up on pants and so Skyler's outer pants had a difficult time staying snapped closed.  They fell down.  A lot.






I wasn't kidding about his pants.



I had a snowball fight against the kids.  Let's just say I have better aim but they had 6 hands versus my two -- they won.

This is the only picture I have of Ella and Claire.  It's so fun to see their personalities.  Claire is a riot.  She is such a good baby -- always happy and obedient.  Her one issue right now is climbing up on things. And she gets everywhere!  It was hilarious.
 
And P.S. I've already called dibs on their chandelier when they redo their dining room, so don't even try to take it.

My mom always gets me flowers when I deliver my babies at the hospital.  This time she skipped the flowers and got me something I've always wanted: a cotton candy machine.  We took it up to PA and made the kids (Ben and I included) cotton candy.
 
Random question: You can make cotton candy out of just about any hard candy.  Would it be weird or cool to include peppermint or cinnamon cotton candy in our goody plates we give out to friends and neighbors for Christmas?


On Thanksgiving morning the kids were waiting and waiting until the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade started.  When it was finally on this how they looked -- beyond thrilled.  ;)

The adults did the cooking.  But let's be honest, Trina and Robert did most of the work.  Trina bought a 27 lb. turkey and the instructions told us it would take about 8 hours for it to cook.  So it was put in the oven first thing in the morning.  And then just a few hours later it was ready.  So we ate at 12:30.  It was awesome!

So, so good.  And Thad was good enough to lie on the floor the whole meal so we could eat the best dinner of the year with both hands.  And for the record, this was my first time eating brussel sprouts.  I thought they were pretty awesome!

Then on Black Friday we all put up the Christmas tree together.

The kids danced to the Christmas music.

 

Ella and I snuck in a bunch of snuggles... as usual.

Aunt Trina helped the kids decorate the mini Christmas tree.
 
 
Overall it was an awesome trip.  Both Lily and Skyler cried when it was time to leave.  When we got home, Lily broke down again and got mad that we left.  Honestly, it was nice to have adult time with Trina and Robert, but it was even better that the cousins got to have so much time together.  We've made some unofficial future plans and with them and I really hope that they work out *cough* going to NYC together *cough*.
 
We came home sicker than when we left.  (Did I mention that Trina and I didn't have voices for most of the visit?)  We were all in various stages of the same cold and then Lily threw up when we were in DC.  But 11 hours later we were home.
 
We'll miss Aunt Trina, Uncle Mrs. Roberts, and all the cousins.  Until next time!

3 comments:

David & Brenda said...

I've been waiting for this post. Thank you for letting us share your Thanksgiving. This is one of my blessings.

Liz Wilcken said...

I would LOVE some peppermint cotton candy! And when we move closer to you, I'll have to sneak over to your house for girl night and we can eat lots of cotton candy together!

Liz Wilcken said...

And on a random question to you: Can you make Worther's Originals hard candies into cotton candy? Because that would probably be my favorite.