Ben and I knew that this visit with Ben's parents would be very bittersweet. We love visits and we're so proud of the sacrifices they've made to support their decision to serve a mission, but two years is a long time to go without a visit. So we basically stuck to just being together at home so that we could squeeze in as much quality family time as possible.
Hong Kong is one of the most expensive missions in the world. Mum and Dad were told that they should expect to pay $1300/month on groceries for just the two of them. Wowzas. Ben and I already knew that we wanted to make them one last Ukrainian meal since they probably wouldn't have the time to make perohe in Hong Kong.
Of all the things that Lily wanted to do with Grandmum and Pop Pop, she was adamant that they make a Leprechaun trap. She and Skyler were thrilled when the Leprechaun visited leaving behind a few pennies, a note on a post-it, and green pee in the toilet.
Ben's family has an Easter tradition where instead of going on an egg hunt, you go on a paper hunt. Each slip of paper says something different, but if you find one that says, "It's a bunny!" you earn a chocolate bunny. Mum and Dad brought three chocolate bunnies and the kids went on a hunt. I was shocked that Ella was the first one to win her bunny!
"What do you mean we have to take a picture before we can eat our chocolate?!?! What kind of torture is this?!?!"
They heard Thad cry a whopping two times the whole trip. I think that defines Thad pretty well.
Dizzy Thad
Ben and I watched them drive off at 5:30 AM after Dad had given Ben one final father's blessing and we were all a little teary. We already know that Mum and Dad will be amazing missionaries and that they are going to do a world of good for the missionaries and general authorities all over Asia. I can't imagine a more perfect mission for them than to be Mental Health Advisors. The kids won't see them for two years, but the plan is that Ben and I will fly over next year.
We love you Mum and Dad! Return with honor!
*snicker snicker*
4 comments:
Just 2 comments -
1) Don't let Heather on the horsey swing.
2) I know Lily and Skyler could handle things at home perfectly when you're gone next year, but I'm offering to watch the kids when you go anyway.
Thanks for all of the great pictures.
Thanks for sharing the sweet pictures of your family with David and Brenda. They're going to be missed by many, including this "matriarch" of the Macbeth gang!
They are going to do a great job. And 2 years never felt so long...
What a great time we had with your family! Thank you for this sweet post and your words. And I loved the ending of your post! Snicker Snicker
Post a Comment