Thursday, June 5, 2014

5k



This weekend was an off one.  My piano teacher growing up (who is in my current ward) has survived cancer twice and our ward threw together a 5k to donate as much money as possible to cancer research.  My parents sponsored me and I signed up.  For days before the race I debated whether or not I actually wanted to participate.  My cardiologist has given me strict instructions to live a pretty lazy lifestyle.  I go walking in the morning with a friend each day, but it's never strenuous.  I finally decided to go through with the 5k so long as I walked the whole thing.  But Ben had to catch a flight to Texas that morning so I knew I couldn't go super slow.  So when my running/walking buddy started speeding up, so did I.  I pushed myself WAY harder than I should have and ended up completing the race in 44 minutes.  That's definitely not a time that hardcore racers would want to have, but for me, it surpassed my original goal of simply finishing the race.  After I dropped Ben off at the airport, the kiddos and I headed to my parents' house for the weekend.  I'll be honest, I went there because the kids haven't had a lot of time with them lately and I knew they'd love it.  But the real reason we went was because I was too chicken to go to church on my own with all four kids.  The babies alone would have made Sacrament Meeting close to impossible.  As I stayed at my parents' and went to church, I noticed that my heart was having serious issues.  I felt the spirit tell me for the hundredth time that my body has limits and that it's not wise to push them.  But the kids had a great time at my parents' and Ben was able to help Joe move into his new house, so I'd say the weekend was a success.


Quotes of the Week

Lily: "What is that orange fruit called again?"
My Dad:  "Um, an orange?"
Lily: "Oh yeah!  An orange."


*While we were checking out at Target.  We had just bought a pinata.*
Skyler: "What do you put inside pinatas again?"
Me:  "You'll just have to wait and see."
Skyler:  "Oh I remember!  You put money in there!"
Lady behind us in line: "Can I come to your party?"

No comments: