Halloween was greatly anticipated this year. The kids may have prayed multiple times the week before that they would have a fun Halloween. I think trick-or-treating in the mountains and trunk-or-treating at the church really got them excited about the real deal.
The kids get off the bus at 4:30 so we ran home, made dinner, ate, and changed quickly so that we could get out early. During dinner, Lily's front tooth started bleeding again. It had been loose for forever -- she just didn't have the courage to pull it out (even though every time she loses a tooth she talks about how it doesn't hurt that badly). She got so annoyed with it because she wanted to eat her dinner quickly and get on with trick-or-treating, that she asked Ben to pull it out. The tooth fairy visited that night with money and a butterfingers that may or may not have been stolen from her own bucket.
The tooth fairy may or may not have also run out of cash on her visit here and had to steal money out of Lily's piggy bank and left an IOU. She feels very guilty about it, but considering she made Lily a very happy girl and the money will be quickly replaced, she doesn't feel too guilty.
Ella at the last second stuck a sticker on her forehead and thus made the best Halloween picture ever.
Last year our neighborhood was swarming with kids by 5:30. This year it was 5:45 and still no one was out. But the kids were going crazy waiting so I went ahead and took them while Ben stayed home with Thaddeo to hand out candy. Going early had serious advantages! Everyone kept saying, "You're our first trick-or-treaters! Here, take a handful!"
Don't mind if we do.
For many a year now, I have been highly discouraged by the lack of modest women's costumes. Then one day a couple of months ago it dawned on me. QUIDDITCH. I instantly became excited and told Ben right away since he was working from home on the other couch. I think he then realized that he didn't have much of a choice and that we would therefore both be Quidditch players. He did slowly get excited about the idea and if we're being honest, he did 95% of the work in making them. We spent a couple of Saturdays together sewing, ironing, pinning, etc. but the sewing pattern we were following was in Ben's head so he really did have to do the majority of the work. I'm so glad I have a modest (and AWESOME!) costume to wear now!
We were done trick-or-treating after two hours and we came home and talked with neighbors. We truly live in a wonderful neighborhood. I couldn't be happier. Once the kids were in bed, Ben and I finished our traditional October Harry Potter marathon. With a very sore tummy, I went to bed happy -- thinking about how I'll never eat so much candy ever again. So naturally I did it again the next day.
Happy belated Halloween everyone!


3 comments:
Your post had me laughing the whole time! What a fun Halloween!
We saw one trick or treater in Hong Kong! A cute little Snow White in our highrise laundry...but I didn't have my camera. :( But, seriously, how does one trick or treat when every building is a high rise and you have to know the code to get in? And I'm sure we ALL want to see your Quidditch costumes...
Well, it's obvious your costumes were hidden in plain sight. :) Thanks for humoring me and not being sarcastic. Facebook gave me the clue... Obviously my entire exposure to Harry Potter is via the books (no visual clues there except those my imagination creates).
Post a Comment