Sunday, June 14, 2015

Beginning of Summer Break

Monday was the kids' last day of public school.  I cried about it because their school was amazing.  Their teachers and specialists were great.  Lily's speech therapist was incredible.  Fortunately Lily tested out of speech therapy at the perfect time.  It has all come together.  But let it be known that there are two things I will most definitely not miss: 1) the ridiculous curricula that teachers are forced to use, and 2) those few kids who are horrible to your kids.

As you can imagine, I've felt all kinds of different emotions, but I won't bore you with all that.  I'll just say that we're all in for a big adjustment and I am so excited to start homeschooling!  (I won't bore you with all the hours I've put into lesson planning.  The education major in me is really coming out and I feel like I have to hide my enthusiasm about all this because something as ridiculous as 2nd grade math excites me!)

But I am making sure that the kids are getting their well-earned summer break.

 
Thad has decided to become blonde.  So everyone who usually says, "He looks like Skyler," are now saying, "He really looks like Skyler."


This is what happened when I told him it was time to go upstairs for his nap.

On another note, I should mention that I make him promise me daily that he will stay little forever.

The other day I told the kids we were going to do yoga.  In typical "But Mooooooom" fashion, they weren't too thrilled.  But then I popped youtube up on the TV, Lily and Skyler were like, "Oh I love this!  We do this all the time at school!"  Skyler then told me as I was doing my poses that I was doing them wrong, but it was okay because it was only my first time.

And can I say how much I love being able to capture all 4 of them like this in the same picture without them posing for me?  This is what so much of my day looks like and I love it.  So often I forget that I need to invite the kids' friends over to play because they are truly each other's best friends.  I won't ever forget when I was tucking Ella in bed for her nap and she told me sadly that she just wanted to play with her friends.  I told her that she'd get to see them the next day in nursery.  She looked at me funny and said, "No, Mom.  Lily's my friend."

This past Friday night I went to a girls' night out with some friends.  We went to an awesome Asian restaurant.  I naturally ordered Thai but almost everyone else ordered sushi.  I've only tried sushi once and it was a terrible experience.  But one of my friends told me that that wasn't normal and she made me try some of hers.  It was amazing!  We then went to see Jurassic World (which was also amazing, coming from a Jurassic Park fan).  

I was so in love with the sushi that the next morning I woke up and convinced Ben we needed to go on a date at the same place.  My dad was kind enough to watch the kids while we went and tried it again.  We got 3 non-shellfish sushi rolls so that Ben wouldn't go into anaphylactic shock, but I was selfish and bought one roll for myself that had crab.  It was all so good!  I am so glad that I had friends who convinced me to give sushi another try.  Then we were finally able to see the Avengers.  Ben and I usually only go to the non-dollar-movie-theater once or twice a year, and I did it two days in a row.  Craziness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just have to say it: "Thad really looks like Skyler!" Broken record?