Last year I tried an experiment with Skyler. I had a "Yes Day" in which I decided that I would say yes to everything he wanted to do, eat, play, etc. (You can read about it HERE.) I decided this would be a once a year thing and since Monday was the last day of school, I thought that Tuesday would be a perfect Yes Day.
I told the kids a day in advance so that they could get ideas of what they wanted to do... and boy did they deliver. We didn't have time to do everything on their list *cough* cut down another tree *cough* but we hit almost everything!
Breakfast was at Dunkin Donuts. There was a slight altercation over whether we should go to Krispey Kreme or Dunkin, but the rule was that they all had to agree on something together to get me to say yes. Finally they all agreed.
(Them agreeing on one thing was another skill I was hoping would be learned during Yes Day)
Ella's still not aware that you're allowed to eat more than the sprinkles and icing.
One thing I knew they would request was going to the pool. It was fun, but not as much fun as when Ben gets to join us.
Thaddeo does not like being held in the pool. The day the pool opened I jokingly told him to kick and he's tried to be independent since then. So if I end up in the hospital from a heart attack, you'll know it wasn't the secret nap time ice cream that killed me.
After the pool came lunch time. Here we are getting ready to go to Chik-fil-a.
Lily and Skyler quietly requested not to have quiet time after lunch. When the babies nap these two always go to different rooms upstairs to read, play, nap, etc. This way we all end up with alone time and everyone is much happier at the end of the day. But yesterday we had a water balloon fight -- just the 3 of us.
Then we washed the cars. Clearly, when I say we washed the cars I actually mean that I washed the cars and Lily and Skyler sprayed each other with the hose.
What isn't pictured is that Lily, Skyler, and I went back to the pool until the babies' naps were done (Ben was working from home). If only y'all could see my sunburned face and the sweet farmer's tan I got from my sunglasses. Later that night I kept shivering and realized that I had a low-grade fever from my sunburn... nice....
The day ended with them eating waffles for dinner in front of the TV -- such a rare treat! (Dinner in front of the TV is rare, not the waffles for dinner.... Ben could tell you all about it...)
Let me be honest, this Yes Day was not nearly as awesome as it was last year. It's probably because I had to say yes to 4 kids instead of 1. There were several times in my head where I thought to myself something to the effect of, "Kill me now." But I'm proud to say that I persisted through it and took a breather when I needed to. At the end of the day Ben told me he was surprised that I decided to do it the first day of vacation. I had to be honest, last year it helped me get out of the automatic "no's" and made me realize that saying yes to things isn't a big deal. Half the time when I say no it's because it's necessary, the other half is out of convenience for myself. I want to be the mom who makes good memories for my kids, not the mom who brushes away opportunities because they're not appealing to me.
That said, I'm so happy it is no longer Yes Day and that it won't be for another year. Now, I think I should make the kids have a Yes Day for me!!! Wouldn't that be a trick?! :)
2 comments:
Good for you!!! You are a great Mommy. BTW, love Ella's hair!!!
FWIW, Joan Harper once (or perhaps more than once) told me that her philosophy was "Say 'Yes' as often as you can because there will be so many times when you will have to say 'No'." I thought that that was pretty good advice (mostly). Only you and your sisters will know for sure how good I was at following that advice. (Probably not very good at all - sorry).
Post a Comment