Monday, September 7, 2015

The Munching Slider-ider Meat Eaters

In school we've been learning a lot about money.  Both Lily and Skyler learned about money in Kindergarten and so it was still pretty fresh with Skyler but Lily had to re-learn almost everything.  Lily is finally at the stage where she does "stacking" addition and subtraction.  With 3 weeks of working on these two things, I thought it would be a fun idea to put these skills to real use.  (After all, one of my goals as their teacher is to show them first hand how their lessons can be used in real life instead of just having to say, "You need to remember this for the test.")


We agreed that creating a restaurant for our family and Nanni and Papa would be a lot of fun.  Lily and Skyler combined their preferred restaurant names together and called it "The Munching Slider-ider Meat Eaters."  I thought that was ironic considering the entire menu except for one item was vegetarian. The kids helped Ben make the sign and they helped me create the menu and prices.  I think Ella's dinner came out to be the cheapest at around $55.  Too bad I wasn't earning tips on these bills....




Writing down their selections on their menus

Lily, Skyler, and I got to sit down and eat with them after they had been served their first two courses.

After dessert it was time for math.  Lily had to add up each bill, collect their money, and do more math to figure out the change.  Skyler helped with the last part.  I love this genuine picture of Lily's confusion.



Ben was naughty and ordered both desserts instead of just one.  So I gave him a slice of cake and about a tablespoon of ice cream.  In true Ben fashion he retaliated and had to have a word with the chef.  And when I say that "he had a word with the chef" I actually mean that he took over the kitchen until he had a substantial serving of ice cream.  :P


I think the night was a success!  The kids can't wait to do serve Grandmum and Pop Pop when they're home from their mission in a year!

3 comments:

thepodfather said...

I'll have to say when I saw that Butternut Squash Soup (the most expensive item on the menu) was $36.10 I was a bit shocked, but it was definitely worth it - probably the best soup I've ever tasted! The food, music, and company were great, and the wait-staff were excellent (and cute as can be). Thanks for a great time.

Carla and crew said...

Your Mum and Dad are going on a mission? That is great!! Where will they be serving?

David & Brenda said...

This is all so fascinating. I love seeing Benjamin being home-schooled (first picture). Be sure to teach him nursery rhymes. Poor boy missed out when he was growing up. He's lamented it every since!