Friday, October 30, 2015

Hong Kong Trip -- Nan Lian Garden

After the boodle fight we went to Nan Lian Garden.  It was everything I imagined a Chinese garden to be.  It was so beautiful.  The main pagoda was completely covered in gold leaf and shined gorgeously in the sun.










Mum and Dad told us about a Buddhist restaurant that hid behind a waterfall within the garden.  Buddhists are vegetarians and Ben and I were curious about their food.  We all agreed to try it out.

We got seated in front of the window to the waterfall.

I can honestly say that this was the most unique meal I've ever had in my life.  Typically, when I hear the word "vegetarian" I think of a dish that has lots of veggies that compensate for a lack of meat.  In China, they just eat a lot of fungus and tofu.  So we had a 9 course fungus meal.  There wasn't a single course that I thought was gross.

Braised cauliflower fungus with mushrooms and beancurd

Catathelasma marinated with citrus peels and plums

Beancurd with spicy sauce

Braised Shimeji Mushroom and White Fungus Thick Soup

Stir-fried Chanterelle with asparagus and fresh yam

Fungus dumplings

 Deep fried mushrooms

I had to post this terrible picture of Ben and me because it makes me laugh.  There was a sign at the door that said no picture taking.  Mum asked our waiter if we really couldn't take and photos and he said, "As long as I don't see you taking them, neither of us will get into trouble."  So Mum became an expert at taking photos quickly on our command.  In this picture she was trying to capture us, but instead of smiling we were saying, "Not now.  He's looking."  Ha!

The restaurant after the sun went down.


This park was when I realized what a unique city Hong Kong is.  There are ancient parks like this in the middle of high rises.  It is both super old and super modern.  Parts of Hong Kong are definitely luxurious where all the cars are expensive.  Other parts of Hong Kong are like a third world country.  It is such an interesting blend of everything.

No comments: