Friday, November 20, 2015

Hong Kong Trip -- Temple Night


Ben and I were especially excited about (I feel like I say that about every single thing we did on the trip) visiting the Hong Kong temple.  It was my first time going to the temple outside of the US.  The Hong Kong temple is one that most of Asia uses and so Ben and I were crossing our fingers that the session wouldn't be in English and that we would have to wear headphones.  We had people from Hong Kong, Indonesia, Thailand, and India in our session (and there are only 40 seats if I remember correctly).  Since the majority were from India the session was in English.  We were a little bummed, but it was fine.  :)  If you are LDS, you would understand that I had quite the adventure at the end of the session when the man I was assigned to speak to only spoke Cantonese.  Apparently that was a glitch, but it made for a really unique experience.  Even though just going to a foreign temple itself was an amazing experience, my favorite part was that Mum and Dad were leading the session.  I can't even describe it, it was just amazing.


This entire family of 4 works in the temple.  I think that is just the coolest that every Tuesday night they go and work together at the temple.  #lifegoals

We went across the street so we could fit the temple into the picture.  The temple was actually smaller than I was expecting.  It has 2 endowment rooms and each are smaller than even the Raleigh temple rooms.  It was gorgeous on the inside and very Chinese.  

While we were out taking pictures we ran into the group of Indians who were in our session.  We got to talk to each other for a while about our families and ourselves.  It was such a weird experience because it was like we became instant friends -- only at the temple, y'all.  We were laughing and having a great time, and when we had to say bye one of the men looked back at us and said, "Well, we won't see each other again, so see you in the spirit world!"  Loved it.  :)  

That night we splurged on one of the famous Chinese cakes that we'd been eyeing at the entire trip.  It said Happy Birthday on it so we sang to Mum and Dad for no reason.  It was chocolate and yet it tasted really different from what we're used to because they hardly use sugar in China.  And we were surprised to find that one of the layers was jello.  It was fun to try.  It was even more fun to eat for breakfast the day we flew home...

1 comment:

David & Brenda said...

So many great memories!! My greatest regret is that we couldn't find time to do more! :) I keep looking at different things, thinking, "Oh, we should have done that ... or I wish Benjamin and Heather could have seen this!" So glad you were able to share in this amazing place and to experience these amazing people!