Thursday, October 13, 2016

Lily's Observation Week

Twice a year I look forward to observation week at ballet and then without fail I always forget that it's observation week and I'm scrambling with my hands full of kids while taking lame-o shots on my phone.  However -- it never ceases to amaze me how much none of that matters.  I can think of very few things I enjoy more than watching Lily dance.  It is crazy to see how much she has grown up.  Looking at her now it's hard to believe that she was this super chubby baby with rolls covering her arms and legs.  Instead she has turned into this gorgeous young lady and depending on the moment, I'm not sure if I'm okay with it.

But during observation week, I'm always okay with it.






This is our 3rd year in a row with Miss Carrie.  We love her so much that Ella is now taking ballet from her as well.  Miss Carrie is about as perfect as a ballet teacher can be.  She is always patient, in good spirits, and genuinely loves all of her girls.  She's also a homeschooling mom herself so that earns her extra points.  ;)



This year they've really put a lot of emphasis on stretching and twisting the girls' bodies so that they can be correctly positioned without hurting themselves.  I have tried attempting some of their exercises and I can't do most of them.  Ha.  My body's getting old.  In this picture Lily's TA is helping her point her left foot backwards toward her heel.

Also, I have to say how much I appreciate having teenage teacher assistants in Lily and Ella's classes.  They always are so kind and helpful, but more than anything they give the younger girls a glimpse at what they can become if they continue to work hard.  I love Holly Springs School of Dance so much.  When classes start each hour and all the girls are hopping out of their cars, there are 4 year-olds and 17 year-olds and everything in between walking together and talking.  Several times a year the younger girls go into the older girls' studios to observe.  I really can't emphasize how much I love this non-competitive dance school.

She made it up!  She almost got her arms above her head while balancing.




No comments: