Grams (my mom's mom) has a history of going and going and going. That's why we call her the Energizer Bunny. Just a year ago when she was a "mere" 100 years-old, she tripped backward, hit her head on a solid wood kitchen chair, and split it in half. She was immediately rushed to the hospital where they ran all the tests they could on her just to say, "She's fine. She can go home." Because, naturally, Grams would be fine.
So when we got word that Grams would probably be going pass in the next few days, we waited. A few days turned into almost a month and she finally passed peacefully away in her sleep with no real causes of her death other than old age.
I definitely wanted to be in Utah at her funeral so I flew out with my dad while Ben stayed home with the kids. As terrible as it sounds, I'm grateful I didn't bring my kids because I was able to spend my time with family members I hadn't seen in almost 7 years and I was able to really say a true goodbye to Grams. It would have been so much more difficult doing that while chasing down 4 kids the whole time.
Mom and my Aunt Chris.
Preston's parents came to bring Colby to Becca.
Chris, my mom, and my Aunt Edris greeting guests at the viewing.
Jared, Tami, and Kristin
Cora, Jenny's youngest daughter
Jenny, Tyes, Grams photobombing her own viewing, and Chrit
(and some mystery arm?!?!)
Tyes who somehow became almost 7 feet tall in the last 7 years.
My cousin Tyler and his baby with his R2D2 hat. I laugh over their size difference.
We missed Lizzie, but we felt her in spirit.
I'm so grateful to have had Grams as a grandmother. Her whole life was dedicated to the Lord. She served 3 missions in her adult life (twice in Samoa and once in the Philippines). She was a real example to me, even when I struggled to kneel through those 15-20 minute family prayers each night as a kid. All in all, this was such an uplifting funeral for so many reasons. Not only did Grams live such a great life, but we were all so happy for her to pass after her 101 year legacy. It was time for her to go and be with grandpa since he died in 2004 and had alzheimers since I was born. They had been separated a long time and all of us wish we could have been there to see their reunion. I'm sure it must have been sweet. I think this is the only funeral I haven't cried at simply because I was just so full of joy for Grams.
Until we meet again, Grams.
No comments:
Post a Comment