Thursday, April 28, 2011
The Princess and Her Throne
For a while now we have been really wishy washy about starting up Lily's potty training. She would tell us whenever she did something in her diaper, but no way was she about to put on the precious little panties she chose out herself (even though we caught her sleeping with them like a teddy bear on multiple occasions. And not just a few. A MOUNTAIN. That must have been awkward....)
But then last Saturday as I was perusing the grocery store, I finally succumbed and decided to buy soda. We never buy soda. If I'm going to fill up on empty calories you better believe I'm going to ruin my health and jean size properly [1]. I put them in the pantry for, you know, the future. Then WABAM! The future hit about 2.5 seconds later.
"Mommy, can I have some Daddy Juice [2]?" asks Lily.
"You only get Daddy Juice if you put on panties and start using the potty. That's why I bought it."
So we put on her cute little girl panties and pumped her full of Daddy Juice. She visited the potty about every 15-30 minutes. Day 1 = 11 successes and 3 accidents. We gave her a jelly bean after each success. And that has actually worked out well because I was worried about how Skyler would react to Lily's rewards. I simply took her into the pantry each time, Skyler closed the door on us with zero idea of what was happening, I'd let Lily choose her color, and then we'd jump out of the pantry and yell "BOO!" as if we were playing hide and go seek. He'd giggle like the whole thing was a game. Fabulous.
Day 2 was a different story. It was like a dream [3]. Lily always told me when she needed to use the potty and we'd run through the kitchen to the powder room with Chariots of Fire music blaring around us [4]. She was a little Olympian. 9 successes and 1 minor leakage in her panties.
Day 3 was the same as Day 2 except the music was getting louder. She's my little gold medalist.
Then Day 4 was very interesting. Very interesting, indeed. 0 accidents. But the kicker? "Lily, what color jelly bean do you want?" "I don't want a jelly bean, Mommy. I'm good." Uhhhhh..... WHAT? You don't want a jelly bean [5]? Are you really my child [6]?
And that's how it's been ever since. No jelly beans. No accidents. Just happy potty time. And she continues to hold it for longer and longer each day. Can I hear a "Woot woot?!" Aaaahhh.... it's almost like I can hear the cha ching! in my bank account right now. One down, who knows how many to go.
[1] I only waste calories on chocolate. It's the only thing that's worth it.
[2] "Daddy Juice" is the term our kids use for soda that's so diluted it barely has any color. GAG. But they love it.
[3] But not the one where you're naked at school or the Inception 4-level kinds. The good kind.
[4] So I didn't actually turn on Chariots of Fire music. But it did go on in my head as I imagined us running slow motion through the house as Lily was yelling, "Oh no! Potty!" holding onto her panties. If you seriously have no idea what music I'm talking about go HERE.
[5] I wish my parents would give me a piece of candy every time I used the bathroom. ESPECIALLY when I'm pregnant. :)
[6] One of my earliest memories came from when I was being potty trained. My parents and I still joke about it. I used to think it was such a rip off to use the potty when I ONLY got 1 lousy M&M [1]. It was worth at least a few.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Yay for Miss Lily!!!!!
Heather you are freaking hilarious. And I love you. And I'm proud of Lily! And please please please don't ever stop writing in your blog.
Thanks a million. :)
- Alex
Daddy juice. I love it!
Heather, I think parents (or spouses) should owe us candy to when we go potty when we're pregnant... and don't leak! Then, we should earn 2! Dont-cha think?
Awesome!! :) That is so exciting for you . . . and Lily.
Oh and thanks for the email. I really appreciated your info. We have Maddox set up for an evaluation!
way to go! You should count your lucky starts- that was easy. Corbin has been the exact opposite. I will send him to your house!
Ah, Heather, you are so funny! And what a success story!! I can hardly believe it! I can see a new category coming to the Olympics...
So...if Skyler follows suit, you'll have nobody in diapers until your next baby. ;D
Post a Comment