Friday, May 27, 2011

Ben's New Baby

And by "baby" I mean a 1985 Honda Interceptor.

One of Ben's fondest memories growing up was fixing up old cars with his dad.  He still talks about it all the time.  So when Ben started looking at old motorcycles on craigslist I wasn't surprised (I use the word "old" hesitantly since being from the 80's shouldn't mean old.  Maybe I'm getting old....) To Ben's surprise I gave him the thumbs up and he eagerly started obsessing over craigslist.  Obsessing may be putting it lightly, though.

We both agreed that a $500 budget would be OK.  Then he found this one for $250.  Since Ben was refreshing the craigslist page every few minutes (I told you), he was the first one to claim this.  Don't get me wrong, it needs work.  But lo and behold, Ben works for CarQuest, the largest car parts distribution company in America.  Let's just say we get FABULOUS discounts on car, motorcycle, whatever-moves-on-wheels parts.  

So Ben will fix it up nicely (and somewhat cheaply) and then we'll have a nice little gas-money-saver in our hands (as well as insurance - I was jumping up and down when I found out it would only cost us $70/year).  When I was thinking about Ben fixing this up it brought me back to a conversation I had with a friend recently when we were talking about all the things that Ben could do.  You know, he's capable of building a house in its entirety, he knows plumbing, he knows how to fix/build cars, he's a great cook, the man can even sew for crying out loud.  My friend then asked me what I could do better than him.  I thought hard for a minute before saying, "Uhhhh..... I can spell........ and get pregnant."  Why yes, I do accept sympathetic high fives.

Anyway, I'm glad I have a husband who knows how to do everything.  It saves us some serious moolah.  Now all I have to do is let Ben get to work and get this baby running.  Then all he has to do is stick with my one condition with this new purchase: to not die or I will come after him in the Spirit World with a vengeance. That's not asking much, right?

8 comments:

April Bishop said...

I know. Tom is another "can-do-everything" guy. He's better than me at almost everything. But, I too, can spell! Who knew that would be our claims to fame? That and getting pregnant... :)

thepodfather said...

How exciting! Now you just have to set a budget for how much you can spend getting this puppy running. If you can get it running for twice what you spent on it you'll still have a great deal.

Chris & Meghan said...

Ha! You and Ben and Chris and I are twins! Pretty much everything Ben can do, Chris can do, and uh, pretty much the two things you do, are what I can do, too. LOL!

Michal Thompson said...

so cool, I have always wanted a motorcycle. And it is awesome that he can fix anything. That was how my dad was, connor... not so much

Chrissy said...

What a great deal! You look so tiny on that bike.

Mary Ann said...

Super congrats to Ben (and you)!!! I want a ride some day.....

Cheryl said...

Ben gets the fix it gene from both sides of his family...from his dad and his maternal grandfather. I unfortunately did not marry a man who has the all around fis it gene, but he's a really nice guy who cleans and does laundry. :D

Becca Meservy said...

:) You rock. Even though you might not often believe it. Talent #3 - Patience. Talent #4 - Mercy