There are 4 types of pain that I think deal with motherhood:
- The pain involved in pregnancy and delivery.
- The pain involved in watching your children make wrong choices, but allowing them to do so.
- The pain involved in watching yourself make wrong choices in front of your children.
- The pain involved in watching your children go through their own pain and not being able to take on their burdens yourself.
The last 8 days have been a horrible example of #4.
Monday was the first day that Skyler was covered in hives. They gave him Benedryl as soon as we walked in to the doctors' office and they started doing tests on him. I kept thinking this must have been an allergic reaction to some food or even to the antibiotic the hospital had given him 2 weeks before. Nope. Apparently, he was having an allergic reaction to a viral infection. Whatever the heck that means. I was informed that 90% of the time when someone breaks out into hives it's because of a viral infection. Weird.
They gave me a list of symptoms I needed to frequently check in case he needed to go to the ER. 2 days later his lips started swelling up and cracking -- one of the "ER" symptoms. So into the ER we went and lo and behold he had developed a 2nd blistery rash called a "target lesion." The ER dismissed us with the unhappy news: "He'll have hives for 2 weeks."
I'm not exaggerating when I say that Skyler has had hives on every inch of his body. His eyes have been swollen shut. His hands have looked like blown up latex gloves. He had hives covering the soles of his feet so he couldn't walk on them. He has scratched himself to the point where he is covered in blood and bruises. There's a reason why I haven't taken a picture of him. I don't want to remember this.
I can't remember which day it was when I had to flip on a movie for the kids so I could go upstairs and cry harder than I've cried in years. I poured my heart out to Heavenly Father and asked for any comfort or aid that could be given. Immediately I felt peace and the next day Skyler's hives became much less.
The Little Handsome still has them. Each day looks a little better than the day before and hopefully they should be gone by the end of the week. Even though his little voice is so sweet, I will welcome the day when I never have to hear these words again: "I'm so EEEEE-CHEE Mommy!"
9 comments:
It has been bad all right!!!!
Brian and I, Ben and Rose have all been praying for him (and Rose prays for you too Heather...every night without fail...without me asking/reminding her). Let us know when it's all just a memory. And it will be soon. Just keep breathing. The Savior knows his pain, and how to succor him through you. Loves from us!
Poor Mr. Handsome Pants. I agree there is nothing worse than watching your child(ren) suffer and not be able to do one single thing to change it. It never gets easier either. (At least not in 8.5 years...) Good luck to you all and we will continue to keep your family in our prayers. Love you guys!
I'm so sorry Pueb! We've been praying for you guys and keeping your names in the temple. We love you!
oh, my heart is breaking for you and for him. I want to take away your pain, and you just want to take away his. we are praying for yoU!
Oh my!!! What a week you've had! I'm so sorry you guys have been dealing with this, but I'm glad little Skyler is on the road to recovery. Now go eat some chocolate. :)
Heather...I am a terrible friend...I feel like there must be something more I can do. PLEASE let me know. If you just want to get out tomorrow night or you need me to make you some Texas sheet cake, you name it. Love you girl.
Soo sad that you had to go through this (and of course little Skyler too). I love the immediate relief that can come after praying. You are inspiring. Love you lots!
I am so sorry to hear this! I will be praying for you. You're right, watching your children suffer is so, so, so hard!!
Post a Comment