Almost 3 years ago Lily looked like this. Every night I ask Ben, "Why do they have to grow up?" It makes me think of Finding Neverland when the mom says, "Children should never be put to bed. They always wake up a day older." That's how I always feel (although if I'm being TRULY honest and realistic, I definitely need their bedtime).
Last night as I was running errands, prepping for the hurricane to hit us this weekend (oh FYI that was AFTER my first earthquake ever yesterday afternoon.... you can calm down now, Mother Nature...). I took Lil along for some girl time. While we were in the car we sang songs (because that's where I jam. Nobody can hear me and that makes everyone happy. But a little 3 year old doesn't know anything different... her poor little ears in a few years though....)
We sang things like Twinkle Twinkle and our ABC's. Then I asked her what song she wanted next. She replied, "The Indian Princess Song." "Uh.... that's Grandmum's song. I'll see if I can get the words right." So I sing the song that tells about this shy little Indian girl who is in love with her warrior boy who goes off far away to fight and ends up dying while she is left alone. Grandmum always adds the part that she gets baptized and then they're sealed in the temple afterward. But I didn't add that part at the end, but she did. Here's our conversation after I stopped singing:
L: "Mommy, then the missionaries came."
H: "Uh huh."
L: "She got baptized."
H: "Yep."
L: "And then she went to... to..."
H: "To the temple."
L: "Yeah! To the temple! They were sealed. And they got to see Jesus. I want to see Jesus, too."
That's when she started singing I Am A Child of God to herself. I'm left in this surreal experience where my daughter is showing me how much she "gets it."
On Sunday morning another thing happened (although not nearly as reverent). I was busy getting ready for church and it's Lily's custom to make sure I put my blush on my cheeks and not on some who knows what place on my body. She's my supervisor, that little Miss "No, I Too Busy Right Now." She's never too busy to watch me put on make up.
Well I had left out my Neti Pot from the night before (hate me if you will, those dang things work) on the counter and the next thing I know Lil yells, "LOOK!" I turn to see her shoving that spout up her nose and I just about had to put on some Depends because I almost needed them.
HOW ON EARTH DID SHE REMEMBER THAT?! She hadn't seen me use that thing in probably 6 months. Her memory really is kicking in. She really is getting stuff. She's not just a baby I can hope doesn't notice all the things I suppose passes her by. She's a real human being and she gets it. And then she remembers it. SHE ACTUALLY REMEMBERS IT.
Ben, it looks like you're going to have to stop smacking my bum in front of the kids.

6 comments:
That Lily is a special one!!!
It's amazing once they remember stuff, huh? Benjamin remembers stuff from years back. And he'll ask me about it. Even though it happened 3 years ago. Lily will remember the stuff she sees from now on. For YEARS!!!
And I love the story of the netipot!
so i totally had to go look up what a netipot was lol! i love that lilers! she is the most special little girl out there!
I hope Benjamin never stops smacking you on the bottom. I have healthy memories of my dad and my grandpa smacking their wives on the bottoms. It's a small sign of affection.
I took am wishing for time to stand still.
Awwwwww and LOOOOOOLLLLL!!!
Post a Comment