The other day, right after Ben left for work, Skyler had finished *almost* all of his cereal when he decided to wear his bowl hat-style. You can barely see it up there. Anyhoo, he smiled for this picture and then scrunched up his face, worried, and said, "WET! WET!" I just smiled and tried to take off the bowl, but he looked at me like I was crazy. Then he pointed to this itty-bitty dot of milk on his hand and yelled, "WET!" Crazy child is more worried about a drop than 1/4 C. of milk on his head.
Milestones
When I buy clothes for Lily now, I have to go to the girls' section. Not infant/toddler. Girls. AAAAAAA!!!! I am sooo bad at milestones with our kids. I hate their birthdays more than any other day of the year (for the billionth time, hand me the mother of the year award....) except, perhaps, Boxing Day, because that means I have to wait 365 more days until Christmas. OK... I'm rambling.
Skyler can now count to 10. He used to only count like this: 3,2,3,2,3!!!! And we'd clap like he'd just won Price is Right. But the other day he was playing in the tub and counted to 10* as if he'd been doing it his whole life.
*When I say he counted to 10 I actually mean that he counted from 2-10. He still doesn't get the whole, you-always-start-with-1 thing. It must be genetic. Lily did it, too.
Out of the Mouths of Babes, aka Lily
As much as I hate them growing, I also adore their increased understanding. I love knowing that my kids can understand me and I can understand them (i.e. the yellow fluffy monster that lives on Lily's bed and says, "Roar" to her each day). But it's not just the everyday conversations that make me happy, it's the spiritual little bits of input that Lily often adds to ordinary conversations.
One Sunday night we had just finished dinner but were still sitting at the table when Ben asked the kids what they had learned in nursery. Lily started talking about Jesus and then pointed up and said, "That light is like Jesus. Jesus is bright."
The other day when my mom came over to visit, I was telling her about how Ben and I really wanted to go to the mountains this fall. Lily perked right up and said, "I want to go to the mountains, too!" I was pretty sure she wouldn't remember any mountains from when we lived out West so I asked, "Do you know what a mountain is?" and she said, "It's a temple," and she pointed to the picture of the Salt Lake temple over our fireplace.
It never ceases to amaze me what she says, especially when I've never even come close to mentioning things like how Jesus is bright or how mountains and temples are one in the same. Becoming a mother has forced me to look at the world in reverse views. When I was younger, everything came from my perspective, but now my thoughts come from Lily and Skyler's perspective or Heavenly Father's. I'm so grateful that I get to be a mother. It really is a blessed calling.
3 comments:
It is so true (Motherhood is a blessed calling)! I love my kiddos, and you obviously do to! Kids give so much more meaning to life.
Cute story about Skyler and absolutely amazing statements from Lily. Those are very deep and insightful and true- amazing! Sure love those little ones...and singing with Lily.
Oh how I love visiting your blog and seeing I have new tasty tidbits to read. I always love your thoughts and insights and your kids are genuinely adorable!
Post a Comment