Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weirdness and Downspouts





At my parents' house I had two bedrooms -- the one I started out in and the one I stole from my sister, Lizzie, the day she left for college (I had spent many reading times in elementary school sketching out the design and layout I wanted in her room.  It may or may not have included a secret passageway). 

But that's not my point.  My point is that both of those rooms had something special: gurgling drains and gutters right outside their windows. 

Now I know that sounds really weird, but since I lived in that house since I was 7 I became accustomed to listening to water gurgling to lure me to sleep.  I think that that particular noise is ranked up there somewhere close to my children's laughter. 

Ben knows how much I love this noise.

So when we moved to our house a year ago, Ben gave me one of the biggest gifts he could ever give me.  He opened up our bedroom window and dented and deformed the downspout right outside our room enough so that it gurgled right. 

For a man who fixes everything -- not breaks -- this was a true act of love.

The cost to someday replace that pipe: $10
The number of nights I will go to sleep listening to water gurgling: a whole bunch
The number of days I will be amazed that Ben did that: all of them.

Thank you, Ben, for understanding my weirdness.


5 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Thanks for the warm fuzzy about my son. :) That warms my heart.

Liz Wilcken said...

Ben is awesome :) And would that passage have been through the closet? That was a great closet.

Chrissy said...

That's sweet. And funny.

Michal Thompson said...

awesome is all i can say

Mary Ann said...

Yay, Ben!!!! This was the first time I heard that story.